pistol grip shotguns

Phil, weight's not a bad idea on a HD shotgun, within reason. With all the bells and whistles, my HD 870 runs about 9 lbs. Recoil is negligible by shotgun standards, and it handles well becuase it's balanced between the hands.

Recently got a Mossberg 590 AOW, stockless, pistol grip, 14" barrel. With #8 birdshot it's quite controllable, and I don't have much trouble vaporizing pumpkins at 3-6 yards, either by "point shooting" or actual sighting; no complaints after 15 rounds. A single full-blown slug, however, was downright painful to point-shoot, and it was obvious that sighted firing would make my dentist happy.

Methinks this is the only gun that would benefit from a laser sight, or a tight-beam flashlight.

The gun has high cool value...which means it's practically useless. Other than the poster above who actually had a very narrow application for it (need for artillery in very close quarters), don't bother. I got it as it was the only way to pursue the "Class III experience" in NY.

How about you guys that like the PG shorties try some testing?

Set up 5 tombstone targets or similiar at realistic ranges, say 10-25 yards. Start off with a round in the chamber and time from a signal to start. Hit each target once, in any order you like. Check time and count holes.
Then do it again with a fully stocked weapon. Compare time and score. My money says you'll go with the full stock from then on....

Dave McC

Ummm.. Who are you referring too? I just reread the posts and I didn't see anybody who said they liked the shorty. There were a couple who didn't totally, completely trash the concept, but nobody said, " hey its great, I can kick a.. at a 100 yards with it way better than a full stock. Great for skeet shooting."

regards

What is entailed in getting an AOW in New York State. Is it very difficult?
I a big fan of shorty shotguns and have wanted to own one for some time now.

Phil,not everyone reading this thread posts to this thread. My bet's that there's lurkers out there that haven't made up their minds yet.

Besides, opinions are OK, but empirical facts are essential.This test will give an idea of just how effective one is with their shotgun of choice. Even w/o a PG, it's a good practice technique.

Maybe I'll start a thread about practicing, some folks seem to be more focussed in on adding bells and whistles and not USING their HD tools, or maybe it's just priorities.

Dave McC

Sorry. I'm new here and your post sounded a little sarcastic. Should of kept my mouth shut.

One of the reasons I bought a couple of handguns was that I rapidly realized how difficult it was going to be to learn to effectively use a pistol grip shot gun. That's NOT to say it won't take a lot of practice to effectively use a handgun, just its easier to find places to practice, easier to find experienced shooters for advice, easier to find appropriate courses etc.

Like I said, if I was doing it again I would get the standard stock , but in the small, tight spaces in my house there are definite drawbacks to a long gun (or at least it seems that way).

Sorry, Phil, it's easy to misconstrue on a BB, no inflection nor body language to convey meaning.
And you shouldn't have kept your mouth shut, how will anyone learn?

You may want to check out my thread on practice,also.

And, I'm a behemoth, 6'2" 260 or so. I've few problems manuvoeuring in close quarters so far with a standard shotgun. After a while, an 870 feels like a body part...

What is entailed in getting an AOW in New York State. Is it very difficult?

Quick summary:
- Find out what's legal
- Study the appropriate laws
- Find someone who wants to sell you one
- Pay for it
- Find a Class III dealer who will handle the transfer (may be same as above)
- Fill out the paperwork said dealer gives you (basically just fingerprint cards and two copies of BATF Form 4)
- Get a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) to sign the "no reason not to" line (this is the hard part, as some will refuse to and are not obligated to)
- Pay $5 tax to BATF and service charge to dealer
- Wait 3-6 months
- Enjoy your new toy

That's the quick summary. For details, email me at carl@donath.org or ask at the "Full Auto" forum. Given some prompting, I'll add the detailed info to my web site.

Note: significant travel or relocation with a Class III item requires notification of and permission from BATF. If you move, or want to temporarily take it out of state, ya gotta have paperwork submitted and approved. Not kidding.

Remember, violations of Class III laws can get you 10 years in prison and a quarter-million-dollar fine. Do not take AOW ownership lightly.

Back