Pistol Grip Shotguns??

Coinneach, there is NO rifle round that can even come close to the power that a close range 00 buckshot blast generates. The 12 gauge shotgun is THE most destructive and powerfull longarm that you can obtain, no ****!

There was a GREAT special on the History channel..."Tales of the Gun" dedicated to the shotgun. It went on to say that when first used in combat during WW1 The Germans protested the use of the shotgun as a violation of the Geneva convention because of the horrendous nature of the wounds. They went on to say that indeed there is NO weapon that is as devistating under 50 yards as a shotgun, that INCLUDES submachine guns.
I would tend to agree!

The program was VERY comprehensive and well worth watching. Ended up showing $100,000.00 Perazzi and Fabrisi shotguns being shot by John Milius and Steven Spielberg....

Ben

Douglas: Ditto on the Benelli.

With that said, I am developing the ULTIMATE pistol grip (no stock) shotgun. Mine will be based on an old Winchester 1300 Defender in 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel and a 7+1 shot magazine. It's light, maneuverable, an has a noticeably shorter slide stroke than other shotguns. It also halfway cocks itself by driving the slide back upon firing. It's also quite light at about six and a half pounds with the pistol grip.

I'm going to leave the foreend stock with the Tac-Star speedfeed ammo carrier mounted. The pistol grip will be a new Speedfeed unit patterned after the "witness protection" style that the professionals seem to favor. It redirects the recoil through the arm like a standard shotgun stock.

It's going to be loaded it with Winchester 2 3/4 inch #1 magnum buckshot. It launches 20 0.30 caliber pellets at 1100 feet per second. More to the point, that's over 700 grains of buckshot at the speed of sound! oUcH!!!

With that said, I view the pistol grip shotgun a scenario specific weapon that I have the luxury of having. I already own a heavily customized Remington 1100, preban Benelli Super 90, and Ithaca Model 37.

To me, the pistol grip shotgun excels at extremely close across-the-room range when fast handling is more important than long range accuracy. If 10 yards is enough and you need to shoot quickly...this could be the ticket.

The proper firing method is not from the hip, but to jut the elbow of the strong side holding the shotgun to bring the weapon up into your cone of vision. A sort of crude indexing technique similar to Jim Cirillo's nose point technique. Crude, but deadly efficient at close quarters.

Bottom line...

If this is your only shotgun, stick to a conventional sporting stock.

If this is an extra shotgun you'd like to modify then have at it.

Good luck.

------------------
- Anthony (the crazy Italian with a .41 Magnum)

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians by necessity, communities by tradition, and the lesson is inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons and lives from violence of any and every kind by all the means within their power."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Back