pistol grip questions

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick Graham:
Wow.. I can't believe that I'm "almost" going to get the last word on this subject.

In a small house, a trailer house, a stair well or tight hallway, pistol grips only on an 18" shotgun would be ideal. You can't shoot magnums but at 10 feet it doesn't matter. You've shaved a foot off the length of the item you would have to rapidly spin around with.
[/quote]

I'm sure you didn't think you weren't going to get a reply on this one. I went all around my house with my full-stock and PG Ithaca's. (yes, I waited until the wife and kids were gone) and couldn't find ONE instance where the PG would give me any advantage. In fact, it's a bit of a disadvantage around corners in that you cannot naturally point it very well. The full-stock allows a reference for pointing that the mop-handle of the pistol grip lacks.

Patrick, have you ever tried to hit anything shooting around corners with a PG shotgun? In order to see the target with the gun pointing at the same time, you must lean forward into the gun anyhow. Look where your elbow is. To get any kind of control over the gun at all, your elbow must project somewhat behind the gun... exactly where that 12" you think you saved would have to be anyhow!!!

I'm an advocate for PG's when you have to fight in tunnels, bunkers, campers, other vehicles, or where you make a compromise for space as on a Motorcycle, backpack, or light airplane. Still, in those situations the folding stock would seem ideal as it doubles the effectiveness of the defensive shotgun. I would also like to stand up against the pistol-gripped full-stock. These are a bit of a compromise to me. I've always been lightning fast with a standard stock. Take a good look at pheasant and dove hunters. What do they shoot? Now they are quick, aren't they?

I guess I'll bottom line it for anybody who wonders what I think. The PG in any form on a shotgun is a COMPROMISE applicable to some narrow situations and should not be used on a gun that will serve any homeowner living in space larger than the Unabomber's shack. If you have specific requirements, sure, compromse. If you don't, don't limit yourself for sake of a false sense of necessity.

This generated more debate then I expected. After all the posts my opinion is to do what you feel comfortable with. Someone who wants to use any kind of pistols grips will find a good reason to and anyone who thinks they are a waste will site some good examples. I have a full stock with pistol grips. I like them and feel comfortable shooting with them. I have probably ran 700 - 900 rounds thru my gun and like the control I have with pistol grips. I have simulated checking out my house with this gun and a conventional stock shotgun and see no real difference. Thanks for all the opinions and ideas.

curious

Curious, hie yourself down to a range with both styles of stock. Run any tactical drill you want to, try an El Presidente, or any variant thereof.

if you don't do SIGNIFICANTLY better with the full stock, the first pitcher's on me...

I'd Have to agree with curious....

I have both a Conventional full stock and a Pistol Grip full stock, I don't tend find much difference in speed between the two. I tend to use the PG full stock more, I find it more comfortable to shoot with and on my 870 the safety is better presented, and easier to use. The Conventional stock can be faster to reload because it easier to flip the gun over in your hand to present the loading port upwards. The PG full stock only comfortably goes 90 degrees (but can always be fired unlike fliping the whole gun over)

I shoot military service rifles a lot so am very much more comfortable with pistol grip stocks than conventional stocks.

(I did have a PG only stock once many years ago, but they are of limited use, so limited that I couldn't find a use for it....After a few laughs on the range I took it off and never used again)

With a full stock AND a rear pistol grip for the trigger hand, my heavy 1,500FPS 1.25OZ home-cast "goblet" slug-loads are far more comfortable from my 18" barrel pumper, as I feel the grip takes some of the recoil, also the shoulder contact can be enhanced with a bit of extra straight-line grip - stopping any tendency flip-up under recoil with light clothing underneath. I find quick pump/loading are easier in cold or very hot conditions, as it aids grip here too.

I agree fully over hip-shooting and to use a rear PG only is painful AND inaccurate - for me anyway, though I have never tried twin PGs.....Hmmm... :)

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.

Twin PG's are much more comfortable than a single PG. (it's more like wearing two right shoes rather than your shoes on the wrong feet, more comfortable but you are not going to be running any marathons :) )

With PG only stocks, in order to hit something you really do need to have the end of the barrel resting against it. :D

Back