Pistol casings: brass vs steel vs aluminum

I've reloaded aluminum cases, they did fine, however when they fail it's not just a little crack, the case dissembled itself. I no longer use them.

The Federal aluminum cases I loaded failed like brass. Simple cracks in the case from the mouth down. Nothing dramatic and not noticed until they were recovered.

I had a S&W Chief's Special 9mm that would only feed reliably with aluminum cased ammo.

Brass case would not go fully into battery from a full magazine.

I also had some case failures shooting aluminum in a semi Uzi. Cases would split from the mouth.

These days it's brass or nothing for me and my guns.

I shoot brass and steel. IMO if steel wears out your extractor it wasn't much of an extractor to begin with. I shoot steel 5.56, .45 ACP and 9 MM. I haven't had any extraction or wear problems. Not even with MIM extractors.
For the longest time, I only shot brass in my 9mm and .45 acp, but shot steel from my 9x18 and 7.62x39 without any issues.

I migrated over to steel for 9x19 and 45 last year due to cost and availability, and they run fine. Since I don't reload, it's a win for me.

I picked up both .308 and 5.56 rifles last year, and after shooting 1 mag of brass in each, I have since shot steel. I tried some to see if there were problems (and there wasn't), and have continued afterwards due to cost.

I have brass for all, but picked up steel when things got panicky, and am happy I did. If/when prices come down, I may or may not go back to brass, but not exclusively.

Back