pistol calibers in rifles - 44mag vs 357mag

The .357 really benefits from carbine length

Both of them do, but the level of performance gain for the .357 makes for a quite impressive camp gun.

I have really gone from the idea that the 44mag is a good deer caliber to it is a great deer caliber. Almost all deer I have shot with the 44mag from a handgun are bang-flop kills. These were from mid power 240 XTP loads out of a handgun. In a lever action the 44mag is about as good as they come as a versatile deer slayer. I have killed a few deer with the 357mag and 10mm. They were just o.k but the 44mag is in a completely different league.

Fully expanded 240xtp recovered on the opposite side hide.

Last edited:
Nice shot!

The 44 Mag will always have more energy then a 357 Mag.

The reason I would want a 357 Mag lever action, is ammo compatibility- same ammo for revolver and lever gun. And two cal (38 Special & 357 Mag). Granted, 44 Special and 44 Mag also..... but the 38 and 357 is more common in places I go.

.44 magnum makes more sense in a rifle barrel.

You get the big bore factor, but much higher velocities than out of a handgun. Much more weight. Should be perfect for deer, or wilderness defense. A full power .44 magnum hard cast 300 grain SWC would do well on even a large bear coming out of a carbine. They also will deal a mighty blow for self defense if needed, with a good JHP.

Back