Pistol able to fire from inside jacket pocket: ONLY a revolver?

Thats the whole conundrum there. If they are close enough to force you to have to use it that way, unless they are a real twit, they are close enough to trap your hand in that pocket, and disable the gun, with a simple grip.

And at that point, why would they continue to stand there in front of you anyway, waiting to get shot? Even if you were to get a round off, if you missed, they are basically already on top of you, and your hand is now tied up and trapped in that pocket.

I guess I could maybe see it if I was not paying attention, and in very dire, last ditch straights, because I let them get that close, but I REALLY dont like the idea of my hand being in that pocket if they are anywhere in "effective" pocket shooting range. Take it out and palm it if need be. It'll be a lot more effective from there, than from that pocket. Depending on whats going on, and if "they" are paying attention, doing so might just stop things cold.

AK,

If they have you pinned to the floor, or wall, or car, etc... and you can get your hand in your pocket THEN you can empty the 640 into 'em.

I know of several altercations that were finished by the other guy getting a knife out and sticking them. So no doubt, as Zimmerman found, you might have a free hand to get that gun and let them have the contents (and unlike what may have happened to Zimmerman's gun, the Centennial won't jam.)

Deaf

The question's far from pointless. IDEALLY, we will always have our sidearm out and ready to use, before the bad guys make it necessary. But sometimes, LIFE happens.

IDEALLY, I will always reload my 1911 before the slide locks back on an empty magazine. In the REAL world, I have an extended slide release on it, just in case.

I think it's worth some time (and old coats) to find out what happens if, by some unfortunate happenstance, we are forced to fire through a pocket. We're talking about the same distance at which quiet conversations are held, so reaction time could be crucial. If an aggressor has gotten closer than I like, and beats me to the start of the draw, I WILL, upon seeing his weapon's muzzle move toward me, fire through my coat.

I'll probably engage in all sorts of self-recrimination about faulty strategy and tactics after the event, but one MUST first SURVIVE the event, for the self-recrimination to happen.

Although not an ideal situation, that new Honor Defense(?) pistol has that silly FiST thingy on the front, may make the situation slightly smoother, maybe not.

Recently I watched a tv show on the Outdoor Channel called the Best Defense where a couple of the hosts tried shooting various pocket pistols/revolvers from a coat's pocket. As I recall the premise was that you were caught by surprise, had time to get your hand on your weapon but the antagonist had either already opened fire or maybe had already begun physically attacking your loved one(s). Whatever, the point being that the subject was very close and you were behind the 'time' curve so to say.

Anyway, as I said they tried several different guns (I do remember that they did test an LCP, an S & W Shield, a LCR, as well as a S &W J-frame, as well as a few other guns I can't remember right now). According to the show hosts, each gun was tested through more than one style of coat and each was tested multiple times.

The results were that all the guns tested performed pretty well, though about half at some point had a 'wardrobe malfunction.' Mostly this had something to do with cloth getting between the hammer and the rest of the gun. A couple actually somehow got a piece of cloth stuck in the slide of the semi-autos. I remember the hosts being a little surprised that this could happen, but their testing seemed to show that certain cloth types made this possibility more likely. Sorry, I can't remember which clothing material was the culprit. Something pretty thin and slick I'd imagine.

The guns that performed without issue were of course the 'hammerless' revolvers.

Note: as I recall, they even mentioned that if you wanted to try practicing this sort of thing on your own to be aware that some coats would actually catch fire.

There is one and only one auto that I ever tested that successfully fired more than one shot in a coat pocket, and that was a Browning Model 1900 .32. It fired twice before it stopped. LOL:D

Back