PING: Colt Python guys...need your advice

Because "looks" and aesthetics in general are almost always a matter of subjective opinion, my only real point here is that it would have been much more appropriate to have opined, "In my opinion, the Python is much better looking" than to declaratively claim, "And of course, the Python is much better looking".
Just my opinion as always, of course. ;)

the Python has a feel that is truly all its own. It just reeks of slick and it should feel like 50% better than the best S&W you ever handled.
Balderdash!
And that's my opinion!
Yours can & probably does, differ.
Best Regards, Rod

I agree with rodfac. I've had a few different Pythons (and other V-spring Colts) through my hands and not one of them has been "50% better" than a S&W action. I've also seen plenty of evidence that the vents in the rib are a great place for corrosion to set in. On Pythons and well-used shotguns.

Full-disclosure, I've also handled a few of the famed pre-war "long-action" S&W that are supposed to be have a superior double-action than the current short-action guns. None of them were as smooth as my rather pedestrian no-dash 586.

And I've never seen an actual unblemished mirror finish in nickel or bright stainless. Some look like it to the naked eye, but the polish marks always show up under high-resolution photos. Occasionally the photos have shown me things not immediately obvious to the naked eye. Or helped bring up well-worn stamps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote:
the Python has a feel that is truly all its own. It just reeks of slick and it should feel like 50% better than the best S&W you ever handled.
Quote:
Balderdash!

Double Balderdash!!

I like both s&w and python.
A fellow above commented on a python trigger. As you pull the trigger it locks the cylinder tight into alignment. Which some people hate. Whereas others like it and feel less control on a smith because the smith doesn’t do that. The colt system is more complicated and must be hand fit. But the Smith is a true assembly line gun. Who is making more revolvers today? The s&w is superior in one major way. It’s cheap to produce. Personally I prefer the colt system, because I think hand fitting is a list art. And that locked up cylinder tends to work. But what do I actually carry and shoot, s&w. Just food for thought

I'm meeting a gentleman this weekend to purchase from him a 1979 Colt Python 6" revolver in nickel finish.

So that was January 24th. Today is February 25th. May we just assume you are still on the range shooting your new to you Colt Python?

I have a 4" model and for awhile also had a nice 6" but my brother finally came across with the money he owed me so I gave it back to him. :( On the bright side I still have his Colt SP1 in my safe. Anyway, a month later did you complete the deal? I just saw a nice one in 4" with original box for $2,100 had it been another 6" I would have thought more about it.

Ron

Back