Pigs in the trees?

Maybe one of these days I'll have some good pork to hang again. Hogs have been been pretty scarce around here lately. Lots of deer and coon tracks around all the feeders, but not one hog track lately. I started putting out coon traps again to try to lower their numbers some. Last time I did this was last year and I quit trapping them at number 89, but I guess it it's time again. I have trapped 14 of them in the past 2 weeks and would have had a bunch more if the weather would only cooperate.

Stony, what area of the county are you hunting? When my parents were alive they lived off 243 near the shell station. Used to have lots of family there, but the old farmers died, kids sold off the places. Only have a few cousins left. The first pigs I ever saw loose were a bunch of babies near Whitton, in the mid
70's. That county sure is getting populated on the west side, it seems.
good luck with your tree baits, that's how they hunt leopards, so maybe it will work with cougar. If that's what your tracks are.

Bogey...most of my hunting is a couple miles south of Canton near the property we call Spring Lake. It was once called Titus lake if that triggers any memories for you. It is about 1,100 acres now, with a 40 acre lake in the middle of it and woods thicker than you can walk through on a lot of it. I also have access to a couple properties sw of Canton towards Martins Mill that are pretty productive. The tree baiting is on one of those properties.
Rickyrick....I used marshmallows for some time and they did work great, but the heat melts them into a gooey mess and the rain plays havoc with them. I am using the Duke dog free traps and they work great. I feed fish on a couple lakes around here and the coons really like the floating fish food. It sits in a trap for a while and resists rain pretty good for a few days...at least. I ususally give a squirt of fish oil around the trap just to let the coons find it easier.

Is that near the artesian well? I am most familiar with the areas around Wallace (dad was born and raised there), High, Dawson, Stone Point, Wesley Chapel, Whitton and Cana. When I was young, we quail hunted all around there it seems today, and there was decent quail hunting. Dad knew everybody and they would let us hunt, know very few today.

The gate to the property is at the end of the road past the well. Sounds like you still remember the area pretty well. If it weren't for the chiggers and ticks, I would live in those woods....and I pretty much do most of the time. Ain't retirement great!

Checked the cameras yesterday....buzzards, buzzards and more buzzards. No coyotes even this time. I guess I need to go back to a pig or two hanging there. I realize the cats travel a large area....but just hoping.

New pig in Stony's tree! Yesterday in the pouring Texas rain Stony's tree received a new pig to entice the critters, hopefully some neat photos will provide something other than buzzards. More to follow.

Live chicken in a box time.

That's a good bait that I've seen work for bobcats.

They will get young goats too, often coyotes get the blame because they're the ones caught getting a snack

I'm sure a lot of baits would do the same or even better, but I'm just using some of the available easy stuff. Might be an exercise in futility, but I would like to see if we could produce some interesting results. If nothing else maybe some bubba will show up on the cameras slicing himself off a piece.

I would do the same thing...
I've been overrun with dead pigs before... I always pitched them in the bone pit and waited for customers.
I love checking those cameras

I never figured this one out

attachment.php

Haha yeah, but it ain't no tellin what's really out there lurkin in the West Texas night, and that's being honest. There is a lot of odd sightings and myths out in that neck of the woods, the same goes for much of Texas also.

I went to Texas once in my life, for about three weeks, about 50 miles west of Mineral Wells, at a place that made bleachers. it was something else, I worked overnight and that had to be the creepiest darkest drives I had ever made in my life. so flat that I could literally see the road for what seemed like forever. I really liked it though, you guys are pretty lucky out there to have that kind of land, but I understand it comes with it's headaches as well I am sure......like hour trips to a grocery store

Well for comparison sake here's a coyote same camera
Mystery critter is larger and further away... I thought maybe a fat stray dog... But fat and stray don't mix in Texas winter

attachment.php

@ skizzums, yeah we do have some very eery nights here once darkness settles in the more desolate places of the state. But I live deep in the far eastern Post Oak Savannah, just a few miles away from where the Piney woods begin, so it's not very open around here or as flat, but it still gets very eery, especially around the deep woods and swamps around the river bottoms around here.
And rick that image does slightly resemble a dog but like you said that "thing" is very unusually fat. I don't know but that is a very strange and interesting image, thanks for posting it.

I spend quite a few nights sitting out in the woods, either in a hunting stand or in some places just in my truck. Often I stay out until 10 or 12 o'clock and I enjoy the nights...but it sure knocks the heck out of my mojo the next afternoon from the loss of sleep. My wife enjoys when I go out at night I think, so she can watch goofy stuff on tv that I won't watch.
Lots of critters wandering at night...I've even caught trespassers late at night with their hog dogs running. Never have been able to get in their faces out there, but I think I've made my presence known and impressed them with my displeasure. I've even caught one of their dogs, but finally turned it loose....it was just doing it's job and I couldn't blame it.

Back