Pigeons

I have never hunted doves as a sport. Just pigeons as pest control. It just seems weird to eat either of them. It would seem that they are not worth the shotshell. But then again, I shoot english sparrows with my .270... :D

And FirstFreedom, horses and cow are domestic animals, raised for food, not feral critters engaged in annoying them.

What is "cooking"? :confused: :D

Pigeon is very good table fare. I agree concerning those in the urban setting; it is not not just what they eat - but also what they drink that would concern me.

Once you get pigeon meat above 180 degrees for the required time, how they lived or what they ate is irrelevant. The only exemption is if someone might be poisoning them to control their numbers, as I have recently read some cities are now doing.

If you wouldn't eat a pigeon for fear of what it might be eating, I take it you wouldn't touch a catfish. I also won't tell you how many thousands of mallards I have seen picking corn out of cow...leavings in a feed lot, or a flock of 70 some wild turkeys doing the same.

If you do eat feral pigeons, the biggest health threat would come in cleaning them, but no more so than any other wild game.

Awww.... You guys are making me hungry! And I just had breakfast... How'm I supposed to keep my weight down with this sort of thing all over the net?

(Did I mention I love doves... fried, bakec, wrapped in bacon or not... Yum. Will have to try pigeon this summer when all the other seasons are closed! :cool: )

Once you get pigeon meat above 180 degrees for the required time, how they lived or what they ate is irrelevant. The only exemption is if someone might be poisoning them to control their numbers, as I have recently read some cities are now doing.

If you wouldn't eat a pigeon for fear of what it might be eating, I take it you wouldn't touch a catfish. I also won't tell you how many thousands of mallards I have seen picking corn out of cow...leavings in a feed lot, or a flock of 70 some wild turkeys doing the same.

Thank you, artsmom! That is just what I had suspected, and what I tell my friends that I believe. No different than cooking trichinosis out of pigs. Truth be told, I'd eat crows, anything, so long as (a) it tastes good, and (b) it's been thoroughly cooked, and (c) has no toxins or pollutants from man sources (like poisoning or PCB or whathaveyou). BTW, are you actually the mother of a gentleman named Art? Mmmm, love catfish!

Ducks are also famous for eating mosquitos. Think about that for a second...

And I will absolutely laugh in the face of anyone who wrinkles their nose at "feral rock dove" but happily eats any item that comes from domesticated pork.

God i would eat pigeon before a chicken! My uncle used to raise them for racing and the slow ones became FOOD!

pigeons to me taste lick duck and I like duck. When I pig hunt ranch land the ranchers want me to shoot pigeons as well. I have no problems with that :)

?????

"And FirstFreedom, horses and cow are domestic animals, raised for food, not feral critters engaged in annoying them."

Nobody's eatin' my horses until I'm through with 'em and then I bet they'd rather eat a pigeon.

Pigeons are FERAL, meaning bred to be DOMESTIC, but got out on ther own. What makes a barn a suitibly nice environment for a cow that you're gonna eat, but a nasty place for a pigeon?

Feral hogs tend to be less "nasty" than farm raised because in the wild, they don't have to sleep in their own waste. They are leaner and possibly even healthier.

Some folks have intersting preceptions of food.

If you know a Dairy Farmer in Southern California, they will usually let you shoot them. We don't eat them because of what was previously said about insecticides, rat poison and other things in the area that they can eat. Big time fun though. I use #4's on 'em. A little extra range and harder hit...

Had trouble sleeping and saw this thread. Pigeons are not really feral; rock doves were here before the white-man. I'm sure you all have heard of passenger pigeons, I don't think they were feral. They were another species of dove. Rock doves roosted on cliffs and outcroppings originally, and quite happily took to our buildings and bridges. Because we domesticated some doves, homing and tumbling pigeons to name a few, doesn't mean rock doves are feral. I am sure that all you dog owners don't consider foxes or hyenas feral dogs. Even city pigeons are safe to eat if handled and cooked properly. If you will eat rabbit and I sure do, you should have no qualms about eating pigeon. Rabbits eat their own droppings in the winter! :barf:

Background: Pigeons like to nest in our barns and crap all over the tobacco, which then pretty much destroys the leaves. I take care of this problem with my .410.

does anyone know of any usefull way to use the dead pidgens???

Well, I've never eaten one, and I don't think I ever will. Not a big fan of eating rats, which is basically what a pigeon is except it has wings and travels more than 50 ft in its lifetime. What I do is take a pocket knife to its stomach, open it up for extra smelliness, throw them in a pile and wait for the coyotes to come.

Back