Pietta vs uberti quality?

On one occassion I asked a smith here.....

...about tuning a SAA. It was a guy at a show who had a sign that implied he did gunsmithing, so I asked.

He told me to take out the 283 and drop in a 327. I knew I was in trouble.

Back to the OP's question . . . BOTH brands are decent. I own several of each and would have no problem in buying either one of them .. . .

Doc points out some excellent things in his initial post . . .

As far as converting one . . . I agree with Doc . . . primarily for this reason . .

If you buy a .36 or a .44 C & Ball . . . and convert the .36 to .38 or the .44 to 45 Colt/Schofield . . . the bores are not going to be "standard" 38 (.357) or 45 (.452). A .36 is bored .360 and then rifled and the .44 is bored .44 and then rifled . . .. so with a conversion cylinder, you need to use a heeled bullet.

By the time you buy the revolver, buy the conversion cylinder, etc. - UNLESS you intend to switch back and forth between C & B and cartridge - then you would be better off to buy a Uberti or Pietta Conversion since they do have the standard bore size of .357 or .452 which allows you to use the same molds, etc. if you reload 38/357 or 45 Colt/Schofield. In the end though . . . there is no "right or wrong" way to go about it . . it all depends on what you personally want to do and how much you want to spend and fool around with. IMHO

If your are on the fence over Uberti and Pietta then go to a few guns shops where you can actually look at what you are interested in and see what you think of the two different brands. Just don't equate higher price with higher quality - not always true as in the case of many products. And both brands can have a "lemon" once in a while - no different than S & W, Ruger, etc.

B.Billy,
The .44 has the correct size for the .452 bullet. The Piettas, Ubertis and the ROA all function correctly with the .45 Colt.

This is how rumors get started/live on.

I use .452 lead bullets and they go down my .452 barrels (all of the above) just fine.

The .36 won't unless you shoot healed bullets or have the barrel lined. That's why I don't own any .36 cals of anything.

As far as the OP is concerned, I would get the .36 of your choice and keep it C&B. If the '58 is what you want to convert ( or make convertible), I would get a six shot drop cylinder. The '58 is the perfect gun for drop cylinders. I think open tops are best set up (and historically correct) with open port or gated (preferred). The design of the open top is perfectly fine with the conversions.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited:
Back