Pietta vs Uberti 1858 Remington?

In addition to going with the forged frames in 2007, they were redesigned to match the originals in size and since 2007, weigh the same as originals. The cylinders between the older Uberti's and original Remington's interchange as well.

And while they do not have gain twist rifling, they did tighten it up for conical bullets and conversion cylinders, which I believe is 1:18 or 1:16.

A lot of the Uberti guns can now basically interchange parts with the actual originals - one Hungarian shooter who owns or has access to original Remiongton NMA, Colt 1851, 1860 and 1861 and also Uberti copies demonstrated it.

I'll take a look at the twist rate when I get home. From memory from the last time I cleaned the barrel of my 2014 made NMA, I would say the twist is something around one in twenty-ish, which would be perfect for stabilizing the shorter type conicals which actually fit into the gun. Will take a measure to it, though.

I like my old bench rest match model. A little over-built, but it shoots well

BigGun1.jpg

kwhi, i have been looking at the euroarms, almost got one before i ran into a ive johnson uberti. still thinking on the euroarms, will pietta or uberti parts fit?

I had a Euroarms Remmie that had horrible chamber/barrel alignment and spit lead & froze up after two shots. I had a spare Uberti cylinder and it dropped right in with good alignment. The only difference was the cylinder gap widened to about .009" from about .003.

What information I could find indicates that the newer Uberti black powder revolvers have 1:19 twist, at least the Colt 1851/1860/1861/1862 and the NMA.

While I don't have an exact measure of my own, it sure looks like something around 1:20. Iirc Piette nowadays uses 1:30 twist which might be enough for pushing conicals as well with a solid enough powder charge, but seems more optimized for ball (which most people shoot anyways).

I picked up a brand new Uberti and Pietta NMA at Sportsmans Warehouse today. I had them side by side and the difference is night and day. The Pietta is a GOLIATH compared to the Uberti. The Uberti is smaller and the barrel wall thickness is thinner. The Uberti is also noticeably lighter! I was in awe over the difference. While I still like my Pietta, a Uberti 58 will be in the safe soon.

I have a Euroarms .36 1858 Remington and it is noticeably smaller than a Pietta or Uberti. It feels more like a Colt Navy or 1860 as it is so much more a natural pointer. I have a cartridge conversion for it and it is a sweet gun to shoot, percussion or cartridge.

I have an old Rigarmi and it's smaller than Pietta too. I defarbed it and antiqued it to look more like an original I once had. May not be in everybody's taste but I like it.

Back