Pietta vs Uberti 1858 Remington?

Model12Win

Hello all!

Which of these two brands makes the best Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver?

Which one is the most historically accurate in terms of construction, and which one has the best fit and finish?

If you had to pick one of these brands for this gun, which one would you pick and why? I am in the market for one since I'm already used to the Colt percussion revolver system and I want something new. I also here that the Remington doesn't have as many cap jams as the Colts do. I would be buying the standard version with 8" barrel and blued finish, .44 caliber.

Looking forward to your replies! :)

M12

Which one is the most historically accurate in terms of construction, and which one has the best fit and finish?

The Uberti 1858 is probably closer in size to the original 1860s model and the fit and finish is slightly better, but Pietta makes a very good gun (I have four of them) and the internals (springs, bolt, etc.) are likely better fitting and better functioning right out of the box than a Uberti according to my own observations and that of some gunsmiths. I have never had a cap jam in any of my Pietta Remingtons.

Last edited:
Yap, I agree with Bishop Creek.
My Pietta made Remi is a robust copy and with a 5 1/2" tube is as easy handling as my El Patron. The Remi is a little more barrel heavy which makes it a sweet and steady shooter! Of course, I shoot cartridges and the R&D 6 shot cylinder makes it a perfect shooter package!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Search for my review on this subject comparing two side-by-side.

Uberti comes with a dovetailed front sight, Pietta does not.
Uberti comes with a crowned barrel, Pietta does not.
Uberti does a better finish job on the face of the bullet ram.
Uberti does a better finish job polishing the inside of the trigger guard.
Uberti blues the internal components and trigger.
Uberti has double crossed lines of engraving on the hammer spur; Pietta has single.

So overall, Uberti clearly puts more manufacturing effort and cost into their guns.

But, they shoot about the same. The Uberti might have very slightly better groups, but absolutely none of stock BP revolvers will do clover-leaf accuracy off a bench at 25 yards, despite many attempts at load work-ups.

I am convinced that if you want a top-notch competition gun capable of clover-leaf bench accuracy you have to spend another $300 or so with Tri-L machine or the like to have the gun re-barreled and tuned.

Steve

the uberti accepts conical bullets, i had to dremel my 2013 pietta to get them to fit. my uberti nma's are both 70's vintage and neither has a dovetailed sight or load lever stud like the new ones. the dovetails are a nice feature and that feature alone may be worth added cost if you need to replace a sight or stud.

That review has helpful, thanks!

I think I'm leaning toward Uberti, but I've also read that Pietta quality is now equal to Ubertis and the price is much cheaper. Many people seem to swoon over the Pietta guns...

Model 12..

I only have Piettas because Ubertis are harder to find where I can handle them, and cost more. I wonder which manufacturer has the more consistent quality control.

I suspect that you could get a bad one or a really good one from either maker, but don't know what the odds are.

It's too bad that Cabelas doesn't have the same model from both makers, but very understandable that they don't. It would be nice for comparison though.

It would be nice to compare the same model that was made in the same time frame(recent).

Glad the link helped.

I used to have Pietta Remingtons. I now only have Uberti and Euroarms Remingtons. The Piettas were "klunky" and heavy whereas the Uberti and even more so, the Euroarms were much lighter and more pointable. Go with the Uberti. The Piettas are way too overbuilt and not as handy (light).
Also, the Ubertis and Euroarms guns had driftable front sights if your windage was off.

Okay all, I've reached a bit of confusion here. Look at these two links from Taylor's:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand...backstrap-brass-trigger-guard-model-107a.html

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand...with-steel-backstrap-brass-trigger-guard.html

They are both Uberti 1858s, standard blue, 8" barrels, but the first one it says "manufactured with a forged frame" and is a bit more expensive. The second one just says "manufactured with steel frame" and is about $30 cheaper.

So what gives? Does Uberti make two variations, one forged and one cast?

According to Ubertis website they only produce two. One with a steel frame (doesn't specify forged or cast) and one with stainless steel. Here are a screen shot of the specs for each. Maybe this forged pistol is exclusive for Taylors???
05e8d86e1bf3dfbfb0c3aa5354360750.jpg
daa2dfa24517b3ae61dd0f8926568a9e.jpg

Have read the forged frame is a recent Uberti thing, but look at the gran in the grip they used the same picture for both guns.

Hmm... so the newer Uberti 1858s have a forged frame?

That's quite nifty, though probably not necessary. That's another point for the Uberti IMHO.

+1 on hellgate size comments. i have both p & u in 44 and 36, the size difference is very evident between the 36's. the package size of the u 36 is much more carry friendly than the p.

Back