Pietta Uberti Rem Side by Side Comparison

GolfGuy

comp1.jpg

Uberti top, Pietta Bottom

Okay, the Uberti arrived today and having the two guns side by side definitely has revealed quite a few very interesting differences, even for a novice such as me.

First of all Taylor’s & Co. sent me the wrong gun. I noticed a discrepancy in the picture on their website and the description. The picture was an 1858 Remington in Stainless Steel with adjustable sights, that’s what I wanted so I ordered it. After I placed the order on-line I noticed in the description it said “Sights: Fixed” so I called them to verify which one was correct and the un-knowledgeable girl that I spoke to told me that it had adjustable sights, she apparently just went to the website and looked at the picture like I did.

Turns out it was the standard sight model after all and the picture was wrong. Well this steamed me a bit when I opened the box and saw the standard sights, even after I specifically called to check. I also noticed that the gun they had sent me HAD BEEN FIRED and poorly cleaned after wards, this steamed me even more so I called and complained quite vigorously and they sounded like they didn’t believe me, “Well how could the gun have been fired if it came from the factory?” Well, obviously it didn’t come from the factory but had been returned to them and they re-shipped it without inspecting it.

I took this picture down the bore of the Uberti, not a great picture but you can clearly see the crud in the barrel and the chambers were just as bad.

bore.jpg

Anyway, customer service screw ups aside let’s get on with the comparison.

Upon taking the Uberti out of the box it immediately felt different in my hand, and quite a bit lighter so I weighed both guns on a postal scale and sure enough the Pietta weighs, 2 lb. 11.5 oz The Uberti, 2 lb. 10 oz. Not much difference but still a difference and when I released the loading lever it felt thinner in my fingers on the Uberti, and sure enough it is, the loading lever on the Pietta is definitely beefier, and this puts more weight out toward the end of the barrel and makes the Pietta feel considerably heavier. The Uberti actually feels better balanced.

And when I removed the cylinders from both guns they felt different too so I weighed them. The Pietta, 10.2 oz. the Uberti 10.6 oz. Hmm… so the Uberti is lighter over all but has a heavier cylinder, this moves the weight back in the hand for better balance.

So from a balance stand point the Uberti wins hands down.

Next is the action. The action on my Pietta is not as good, that was one of the things that made me want to get an Uberti, or at least compare one. The hammer draw and trigger pull on the Pietta are both much harder, as I’ve learned I can fix that with some internal tweaking, but out of the box the Uberti wins again. Very moderate hammer draw and almost perfect trigger pull.

I wish I was comparing two out of the box guns that had never been fired but that’s not the case so we’ll just make due.

Also, while holding the two guns they felt quite different in hand. I have pretty big hands and my hand seems to fit the Pietta much better. I noticed the butts felt different so I measured the butt of the frames and the Pietta is about 1- 1.5mm longer which adds to the circumference of the grip. I measured the circumference of the grips at the base and at the narrowest part at the top where the grip meets the frame. The Pietta definitely has larger grip circumference and the feel in the hand is considerable.

butt1.jpg

Uberti Top, Pietta bottom

Also, there is more clearance between the knuckle of my middle finger and the trigger guard on the Pietta. With the Uberti my knuckle is smack dab against the trigger guard and on the Pietta there is 2-3 mm’s of clearance.

So for big hands, the Pietta wins. A couple mm’s of clearance will probably help reduce recoil raps on the knuckles.

Next is fit and finish. The Uberti definitely has a more uniform satin finish, no difference in the frame, barrel and cylinder, though it does have some minor tooling blemishes which could probably be buffed out. This was one of the things that I didn’t like about the Pietta, the frame is almost mirror like and the cylinder and barrel are satin. This made me wonder about the quality of the stainless so I got out a magnet to test with and interestingly, only the frame and loading lever on the Pietta are stainless (non-magnetic) the magnet sticks to the barrel and cylinder.

The magnet does not stick to the Uberti anywhere, it’s all stainless. Not sure how this affects quality but it is definitely interesting. I would say that the Uberti is more corrosion resistant given that fact. For someone assuming that the Pietta is all stainless could lead to increased corrosion instead of less.

Okay well that’s about all this layman can really tell about the two guns and after all this I still can’t decide which one to keep. I’m definitely returning THIS Uberti, it has the wrong sights and its been FIRED for god’s sake. But I’m still not sure which one I like better.

I would have to say overall that the Uberti is definitely better quality but the Pietta definitely feels better in my large hands (and that’s important) even if it is not as well balanced as the Uberti. The fact that the Pietta is not all stainless is mildly concerning but I don’t know if it’s enough to tip the scale in one direction or the other. I can live with the difference in finish of the metal and work out the mechanical issues so I think I’m leaning towards keeping the Pietta, it just feels better in my hand with the larger grip.

I’ll have these two guns over the weekend so if anybody has specific things they would like me to check or thinks of something else to compare and/or take pictures of I’ll be happy to do it.

This is the first time I’ve had the opportunity to really examine two of the same guns side by side. I’m glad I did this and didn’t just send the Pietta back and order the Uberti I probably would have been kicking myself for it.

Last edited:
Well after having more time with these two guns I think I'm going to go with the Uberti. The quality is visibly better and the balance is undeniably better. The clincher was holding the two guns straight out with one hand and holding an aim. I can hold the Uberti much steadier.

barrel.jpg

Uberti left, Pietta right

The barrel of the Pietta is considerably thicker again adding extra weight down the length and making it harder to hold steady.

I can get use to the thinner grip and bumped knuckles. Also, the hammer is wider and the knurling on it is cross cut and therefore smoother than the straight cuts on the Pietta.

And the Uberti is all stainless. That is another plus in my book. Yep, Uberti is clearly superior in my opinion, what ever that's worth.

Okay, decision made. Damn I'm so anal I drive myself crazy sometimes.

Your report is extra interesting. You did a super job of describing and comparing the two revolves.

Possibly good news. The nasty in the barrel may mean the Italians actually did proof fire it. Bates has seen several revolvers with residue in them and believes that it is a sign that proof testing took place with an application of shipping grease applied rather than a thorough cleaning. We have had cause to wonder if they actually proof all of them or just some of them or only the rare and occasional one.

I've seen pictures of traditional looking Remingtons that were labled as having adjustable sights. There may be a technicality here. The front dove tail is driftable and the sight is extra high. So you really can adjust them very well and most of my loads hit close enough to the same place as to eliminate need for re-zeroing for different loads.

Thanks mec.
No, it didn't say it had adjustable sights but the picture of the gun clearly has target sights front and rear but the description below it says fixed sights (kind of tiny print too) so it's half my fault for not catching it before I ordered and half hers for not knowing their product line. I know better than to go by a picture, I need to learn how to read. :eek:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/detail.tpl?ID=131&category=Black%20Powder&subcategory=Remington%20Collection&startat=1

That proof firing is good news because I was thinking that I could live with standard sights and I really didn't want to have to wait to get this one replaced. I'm going to clean it and have better look at the barrel, if there are no pits I don't see why I can't just keep this one, I mean a brand new one will 'fired' as soon as I take it to the range.

Another intersting thing is that this gun doesn't say Uberti on it or even 'black powder only' or even the caliber it only has some smbols on it, BZ PN and another one that I can't make out and they are the exact same markings and are in teh exact same place as on the Pietta.

Is that strange or not? Shuold it say Uberti somewhere? How the heck do I know it really is an Uberti and somebody didn't pull a fast one and return a different gun and keep the new one?

Is that strange or not? Shuold it say Uberti somewhere? How the heck do I know it really is an Uberti and somebody didn't pull a fast one and return a different gun and keep the new one?

Every Uberti I've seen has had a "U" inside an octagon stamped on it somewhere.

False alarm! It is an Uberti, it has all the appropriate stuff but it is stamped on the bottom of barrel under the loading lever and I didn't see it there unitl I took it apart to clean it.

Right, I like the way they do that. Pietta tends to have more literature in sight. The BZ means it was made in 2005.

Right, I like the way they do that. Pietta tends to have more literature in sight. The BZ means it was made in 2005.

Howdy Golf Guy,..... great review, and I like your pics. Especially that one lookin down the barrel rifling ,....reminds me of what I see sometimes drifting off to sleep,....:eek: ...just kidding!

I agree with Mec about the gun most likely having been test fired. That wouldn't bother me. But one thing you should definitely check before you decide to keep that particular gun (Uberti),.......check the cylinder/bore alignment by looking down the muzzle with a flashlite at EACH chamber in battery and make sure there is no visible shiny crescent on either side, which is a portion of the cylinder face shining back at you. It would be on the right if the cyl. is over-rotated,....and on the left if the cyl. is under-rotated. Sometimes there's only a very slight misalignment and the shiny part just shows down in the barrel's grooves at the chamber edge, and not over the top of the lands,...that's still slightly out of alignment, but not as bad as when the a full crescent showing over the top of the lands on either side.
I returned a Shooter's Rem to Cabela's for this problem,....and they kindly replaced it with another.

One other thing I like about the Ubertis over the Piettas is that the barrel sides are for the most part free of the stamping, making for a cleaner looking surface.

Stainless, Martensetic/Austenitic

Hi Golfguy!

No slam, but there are TWO kinds of stainless steel, one is very magnetic and heat treatable, the other, as it comes, work hardens only.

Martensetic=Magnetic, heat treatable. 300 series and 400 series if ya wanta look em up! Thanks to tha 'smith for continuing my education!

Last edited:
and a good thing you did. I forgot to mention the two types of stainless. Not that I really know anything about them but it used to come up a lot back when stainless revolvers first came out.

Yep! 'smith took me through this one tha very same guns, had tha question, oddly, tha 300 series frame on Pietta even unheatreatable is by his testing with SMOKELESS loads for tha pressure aint no worry, he says YOULL wear out long before tha gun will!

Hey thanks for the correction. I was not aware of magnetic stainless, thats good to know.

It's hard to tell from the pics posted but the Pietta is definitely 'beefier' all the way around, the frame is thicker as well as the barrel and the grip. The Uberti is is more 'streamlined' and Pietta is bulkier. I'll get some pics posted that show the rear view of the two guns that show this best.

If you ever get your hands on a Euroarms '58 you'll find it is even lighter less beefier(copied correctly is the word) balances better and closer to the original than even the Uberti. You will find that you are not cracking your knuckle on the TG either. They might be to small for your hands though but they feel good. They shoot good too.

Thanks Dragoon, I was wondering which one is closer to the original. I would love to see the Euroarms.

rear.jpg

In the rear view you can see the longer 'neck' (I don't know the offical term but the area at the base of the hammer) on the Pietta, this might be what accounts for the extra knuckle room.

Also on the Uberti you can see most of the nipples around the back of the frame on the Uberti (I like that) and they are almost completely hidden on the Pietta. Also you can see down the sights with the hammer up on the Uberti, not sure why you would need to but its just another difference that I noticed.

Also you can see the hammer is wider and the frame is thinner on both sides of it as a result on the Uberti.

On the underside you can also see the width of the frame is thicker on the Pietta. You can see this best in the area just in front of the trigger guard.

under.jpg

The Uberti is definitely finished better, even inside the frame when I take the cylinders out, even that area is finished better, not like the exterior of course but it is smoother and cleaner than Pietta.

There are things I like about both of them, I kind of like the beefier look of the Pietta and it definitely fits my hand better, but I like the balance of the Uberti, I'm surprised how much steadier I can hold it, the difference is night and day, it feels like I'm dangling a coulple of wheel weights off the end of the Pietta compared to the Uberti :D

Good reporting! I must be valium guy cause i simply dont have a sensitivity to either one for handling, mind is on sights and target, all else kinda fades out!

Well, these two guns are my only experience with black powder revolvers so I would probably like the Colts even better for balance, but I like the closed top frame of Rems for looks. But I do think my next one will be a Colt 1861 Navy.

And mec, I think you're right about the proof firing. I was not aware that they did that, I've never received a new gun that had been fired. I was worried about how long it had been sitting uncleaned, but it cleaned up as good as new! And I polished the bore according to gatofeo's recommendation with JB Bore cleaner and it really did make itsmoother.

Okay, I'm off to the range for my first shoot! Gonna go kill some paper!!

Back