Pietta front sight height ?

That's some good shooting right there hawg.
maillemaker, good advice on the load work up , I have practiced that for years for all my cartridge rifles and handguns and I agree it's important to get a system of load work up and eventually you'll find the "happy place" with the powder , projectile, ect,ect,,,,, .
All advice , tricks, tips I can get for this BP stuff is most appreciated, I'm going to treat my BP handguns just as I would any other firearm and use the work up .
Going to start at 20 gns at 10yds and i'll go from there... thanks Gentlemen

:eek: This newb has a lot to learn,, :eek:

Mostly tried different loads and shot them onehanded like I generally do - after enough shots you see what works and what doesn't.

The best accuracy I observed out of my RB shooter was with 20 grains of powder (weighted, using Vesuvit LC as it's the only thing here - the measure is supposedly 18 grains by volume but the scale says something else) and 20 grains (volume) of filler. However... that feels like shooting a .22LR, and that's just not as fun as shooting a .45 revolver.

Moving to 25 grains and 27 grains the accuracy was considerably worse.

Interestingly, the groups tightened to an acceptable level at 30 grains BP, 10 grains (volume) of filler, there was that enjoyable boom and a thump, and I'm going to stick with that for the time being. When I get to the spot the gun is the limit, maybe it'll be time to revise the load to see if I can get that inch less dispersion out of a light load.

I don't mind giving up a little accuracy for satisfaction. I don't shoot paper as a general rule, it bores me to tears. As long as I can hit my Coke cans more often than not and I have some bang and recoil I'm happy. I don't shoot the G&G much, it just doesn't excite me when it goes off. It is purty to look at tho and will be even purtier when the brass loses it's shine, I take the barrel off now and then and put it on my navy so I can shoot my Leech & Rigdon :D

I got a bunch of coke cans all bagged up to get recycled, maybe i'll gr a few afore they head off to the scrap yard and chunk them all over the back field and try put some holes in them,,,:rolleyes:.

Mix"n"Match guns ,,, I like that Hawg,,,

Use the barrel from the G&G on the 51 and you have a L&R. Use the barrel from the 51 on the G&G and you have a S&G. I shoot lotsa stuff not just Coke cans. Anything I can get a reaction out of. Clay pigeons hanging from a string on a small tree limb in the wind is a pretty good challenge. So are fired shotgun shells, cookies, old CD's, golf balls, even rocks, :D Correction, you have to use the cylinder from the G&G on the 51 along with the barrel to have a L&R.

Last edited:
Back