Pietta Colt 1860 .44: So, How Bad Are They?

For a nine year old thread this sucker just wont die.:D

The newer Uberti's are still pretty good and they don't have billboards plastered on the barrel like Pietta does. They still refuse to fix the short arbor issue tho. It's not that hard to fix but it does tip the scales in favor of Pietta IMO.

I'm getting decent with mine. I took 3 medals, including 2 gold at the N-SSA May 2018 Nationals with it. And last weekend I took 1st place 50 yard and 2nd place 25 yard with it. It is bone stock.

Weird isn't it Hawg? I just read a reply I made several years ago that I had totally forgotten about.

Yep it will die off for two or three years but keeps getting resurrected.:D

Perhaps it boils down to brand loyalty and not knowing what I don’t know. I bought two uberti walkers and stuck in .45 colt kirst konvertors to fit my shooting style. I also have an uberti 1851 and an 1860 RM II from the factory as .38 spl. Never a glitch.
I know you might think apples and oranges but as I swing into black powder and c&b, I’ve learned about the uberti short arbor issues with the walkers and addressed that. I have two uberti arriving this week. An 1851 and 1860 percussion, knowing what I’m in for, I will do a full internal inspection and honing. Address any short arbor and swap the nipples.
Mind you, I’ve never fired a c&b yet (only shot black powder cartridge) and I think my first outting with the 4 cap guns is going to be an experience. Time to do some Josey Wales shootin’
To answer the question. Never had a mechanical issue with the uberti. I’ll let you know how true they shoot when I get everything together.

Count me in the Pietta camp - nice looking and shooting guns for a good price.

26813798683_cffb05b2d4_b.jpg

30574118734_18e67046ff_b.jpg

Back