Pietta '58 Target

Stormson

Been after a target vers ever since I first got my 5.5" last year and finally won one NIB for a half way decent price. Want two of them eventually... One stock and then cut one up for a snubbie... But for now, this will be my hunting\woods walking companion.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=458480928

Any advice\tips\etc? I figure to just tight the sights down as close to middle as possible, find its sweet load for best grouping like that, then dial in POI. Am also thinking that the longer loading lever will make it easier to load conicals... I love Rod's wide flat nose conicals but simply cant get them to load right with the little 5.5 incher... Anybody tried them in the longer one? What about other conicals, anybody got a fav hunting load\round for one of these?

NUTS

Why would anyone spend $175 on GB for an unknown and then have to ship it when all you have to do is stop by Cabellas and pick from five or six new ones at $249 and use a coupon to lower the price even more.

When I picked up my Uberti walker last year I had to go through five boxes to get one with wood good enough for me to take home.

Why would anyone spend $175 on GB for an unknown and then have to ship it when all you have to do is stop by Cabellas and pick from five or six new ones at $249 and use a coupon to lower the price even more.

LOL.. Dude... Where I live we have to order in sunlight! :D

Seriously.. we dont even have a grocery store here. Even the liqueur store is in another COUNTY all together. We have a wal-mart, but even THAT is a good half hour drive away. LOL

LOL.. My ol' lady asked "Whats Cabala's" when I told her what ya said...Anyway, yeah, we aint got one... We dontget to just run down to anything except maybe the still around here :D

Besides.. Its normally a $300 gun online, or close to it, and its still new in the box... Shrugs.. I thought I did pretty good...

Can not offer you any advice on the conicals as I use .454 and .457 round ball in mine.

But, as to buying online, I have and I will in the future. No LGS stocks new BP revolvers except one. The one that does normally has ONE brass framed 1851 .44 Pietta for $299.00. There are two other LGS that sell used BP revolvers for decent prices, I have purchased from them. But the inventory is small and many times either junk or big money. The closest Cabelas store is in CT, minimum 3-3.5 hour drive round trip. Working six or seven days per week along with taking care of everyday life, I don't mind taking a risk here or there with an online purchase. Just my opinion. Personally I think if Stormson is happy with the purchase, he did well.
I will add that this auction stated no inspection/return. I might stay away from auctions with this policy.

Last edited:
if it is a late model pietta you will most likely have to grind a clearence in the loading area of the frame to load conicals. i got a 5.5 44 pietta nma last dec and just loading balls was tight till i went after it with a dremel.

Yeah, some folks are just spoiled.
No Big name stores around here, either.
Lots of regular gun stores, but very few carry anything BP, and not much of that other than inline long gun stuff for hunting season.
There's always mail order, of course, but that can be a pain, not being able to see your purchase before buying.
Especially for something from the land of wine for lunch.
Gotta' get 'em where ya' find 'em.

If you watch Cabelas website they put black powder revolvers on sale for some killer prices from time to time. And they give free shipping sometimes as well. Yeah not seeing your pistol before buying stinks but hey guess what? There is a shipping label in your box when you get it. If you don't like the pistol slap the label on the box and schedule UPS to pick it up and Cabelas will send you another one. You can't do that with gunbroker so I'll stick with buying brand new from Cabelas online. Anyway back to the OP, congrats on your purchase. We will need a range report with pics in short order.[emoji1]

Sorry for the slow reply guys...Had a house full today.

Yeah.. we have a total of TWO gun shops in easy driving distance from here. The biggest one being in the same town as the ABC store and the wally world,and they dont have ANYTHING in the way of BP... Cant even get balls there. They do have Shockeys Gold (Shudders) and I once found a whole box of .45 for reloading cowboy brass, but thats it about it. The other does have a few inlines at least. I can also get 777 for around $35LB and CCI #10 caps for almost $10. Not a single revolver in there either though.

There are some awesome things about living this far out.. and some SERIOUS drawbacks as well... Being gouged or simply doing without is one of them.

As for the validly of the purchase... Eh, its NIB and came originally from Cabalas. Im thinking if it was a lemon, it sure would have been easier for THEM to send it back then to place it on GB, and if it does suck I could try and get the label from them and send it back myself? On the other hand, if all else fails, Im certainly not adverse, nor a stranger to, fixing things myself... We pretty much have to do that with everything around here anyway LOL

Yeah.. The dremal is on hand, and chances are good it may be needed. Rod's conicals are awesome in allot of ways, one of them being that his two smaller ones actually WILL fit in my 2013 5.5" without opening up the port... Hopefully this one will be the same... I just cant get em to load with that short plunger without them twisting to one side or the other... Hopefully the longer one will solve the issues for them and other conicals. I have had to kind of back off conicals in the short one all together, as I am suspecting that the short plunger was the problem...

Shrugs.. Incidentally, I bought the shorty last year for a slightly higher price ($200 + S&H) off of GB and have been nothing but happy with it so far :)

As for a range report.. I'd love to, except that our "range" consists of Aunt Edna's (RIP) back yard at the old shack she lived her whole life in, and a target hung on a tree branch with an old wire coat hanger or empty beer cans... Not exactly a scientific study in ballistics, to say the least LOL :D

Stormson it does not take much of a range. Heck I bet you could set up a chunk of fire wood with some beer cans on it out by the outhouse...heck you could probably position the chunk of firewood so you could shoot while you was having a sit down.

Rock on.. I'll see if I can grab some pix with the ol' cell phone gizmo...

hartcreek- LOL.. Thats actually a heck of an idea! She had an outhouse all her life and hauled spring water (on opposite sides of the property!)... Would certainly beat the heck out of reading what passes for a newspaper these days while I had a sit down! :D

Hey Stormson I hear their building a Cabela's in Bristol VA.

Oh SWEET!!!! Im a little over an hour drive from Bristol... Usually get down that way once or twice a year.. That would be AWESOME!

Thanks noelf2, Ill definitely check into that!

There's a Bass Pro there too (TN side, off I81), and most Bass Pro stores stock Black Powder. You have to ask for it though because it's not out on the floor.

Got it on Christmas eve, just havent had the chance to post.

Date code says '92 I believe. Was brand new in the box, as advertized, just old stock. Hell of a time getting that years old cosmoline off. First impression is that, yes, Pietta has upped their game in the past few years. Certainly not "junk", but not as nice as my 2013 shorty either.

Dont see using conicals without opening the loading port... Its MUCH smaller then the one on shorty. Fit and finish not as nice, but thats easily dealt with. The loading lever is very stiff, as if it might be too tight, but again easily dealt with if the need arises... I kind of like that it doesnt just drop down for now.

Havent had the chance to go shoot it yet,but all and all im liking it so far :)

Will post pix as soon as I can resize them

Try this again :)

First one is next to his little brother... Second one should be a closer look.

Attachments

• 20141230_133356-sma.jpg
    20141230_133356-sma.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 26
  • 20141230_133411.jpg
    20141230_133411.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 22
Back