Pietta 1851 Colt Navy , brass frame Barrel Pins.

slowhand

A drill press vise is a low profile vise that is fastened (clamped) to the drill press table to hold whatever is being drilled, in position while drilling.

I don't know what you are thinking about using the JB weld for. If you can find a way (drilling or whatever) to get the old pins out, you can just use some locktite thread locker or epoxy or something to hold the new pins in place.

Just go slow if you try it yourself. I do think you should use the drill press. If your frame is moving around and not secured, it will be very difficult to drill the old pins out without damaging the brass frame.

Harbor Freight makes a cheap drill press vise....I bought one for about $16. Check it out on their website. It might be a good investment if the drill press that you have access to, doesn't have one. You won't be able to clamp the brass frame real tight, but it must be held in place. You might use some wood blocks to keep from scarring the frame.

Good Luck

Since I was the one....

....Who mentioned a bench vise and hand held drill in the first place....

I feel that it is important to repeat my earlier cautions.

This is an operation which demands precision that is hard to achieve without the right tools. A bench vise and hand held drill is far from optimal. You could easily wander into the brass frame without realizing it until it is too late. Know exactly what you are doing and know the possible negative outcomes. Practice your process on a piece of scrap.

I have never found it necessary to use any kind of adhesive, but I have only ever done about four of them.

I always made the pins rather than buying them and they always stayed put with an interference fit.

WOW . I wonder just how we ever built guns without all the modern machining abilities ?
Less we forget , much of it was done with files , hand mills , hand drills , clams and bench vices .
Just saying .

Myself . I believe the gunsmith you took it to just didn’t want to mess with it .

Using a dental drill was mentioned . I would agree with that . You can also get very small , slow speed diamond drills . Harbor freight sells a set . They however are very cheep and if your not careful will snap .
Drill out the center as Doc stated . Then step up in bit size . How big of bit you can go , depends on how centered your first hole is .
The gun smith you took it to should have had small taps down to 1/16 at least .
You can get even smaller taps that are for watch making .
Tap the hole and pull the pin .

photo

Hello to all
I was able to get a photo and will post it here. This probably will not generate any new ideas, but may help others later. You can kind of see here that the broken pin is slightly below the brass surface, and it is kind of jagged down in there. I measured the pother pin with my micrometer, it is 3 mm.

I now have access to a drill press and press vise, so I will update soon.

thanks

IMG_0211 (1).JPG

Last edited:
i work in an auto shop there are many stuck bolts that have been removed using mig welder. the weld sticks to steel and not other metals plus there is considerable heat transfer wich loosens stuck bolt. use small vice grip to pull out.

Back