Pictures of your casting setup

Here's my 20 year old Coleman stove melting down some gas meter innards. The old green gal is on her last legs, I'm afraid.

DSC_4474.jpg

That's great. Mine is really basic too, just a hotplate and small skillet. Not really enough heat, but can't afford anything more potent right now.:p

Really?

So... a Coleman stove, a cast iron pot, a ladle, a few long spoons and some ingot molds will get me started smelting? Didn't realize a liquid fuel stove would put out enough heat for the job. How big a pot of lead can I smelt here? I realize even a small pot will hold 20# of lead so that should be enough, right?

So... a Coleman stove, a cast iron pot, a ladle, a few long spoons and some ingot molds will get me started smelting? Didn't realize a liquid fuel stove would put out enough heat for the job. How big a pot of lead can I smelt here? I realize even a small pot will hold 20# of lead so that should be enough, right?

The heat output really isn't an issue. A Coleman stove will put out plenty enough heat even in cold and windy weather. I cast with a ladle and after the pot gets melted I actually have to turn down the heat to keep my molds for overheating.

The problem with this setup is that the Coleman stove grate really isn't designed to hold 50-60 pounds of weight. If you do much more than 2/3 of a cookpot you will need to somehow reinforce the stove to transfer the weight off the grate. You can see the steel bar I have wedged under the grate in this picture.

As I said, this stove was bought in 1989 and has spent almost all of that time outdoors. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Muffin pans are all the ingot molds you will ever need, although I bought some stainless steel condiment cups from Wal-Mart (4 for $0.97) that make great truncated cones to help me differentiate between pure lead and the other stuff.

No pics of my casting setup, looks like a bare stainless restaurant table at the moment...and it is! Toys all stowed neatly in a sturdy box waiting for a pretty day. Trying to decide between a hot plate and a Coleman stove for smelting tho.

I started with a hot plate. It took over an hour to get up to temp. I would use a hot plate only if I had no other option.

Back