Picture of my mother roping an elk

Mausermolt

this pic was requested by blacksky, enjoy. the story behind it is my mom used to work for a rancher that would help out on an elk farm. theyt would cut the antlers off while in the velvet, grind it into a powder and sell to the Japanese because they thought it was an afrodeziac (pardon my spelling). so they would go out and rope them and tranq them for harvest.

Attachments

• old elk roping.jpg
    old elk roping.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 415
When you compare the size of the elk to the horse it makes one realize how big elk are. We don't have elk here in SW Texas, just little white tail deer.

attachment.php

Mausermolt's Mom roping an elk.

Neat picture.

I thought you might enjoy it rotated and out in the thread. If you don't let me know and I'll delete it. Feel free to save it if you like, after all its your pic. :)

Attachments

• old elk roping.jpg
    old elk roping.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 502
I once knew al ol' boy who claimed to have roped a wild elk from horseback. He said it didn't take long for him to cut the rope and ride out of there like his tail was on fire.

Don't know if it's true or not, but he wasn't really bragging when he told the story. Somebody'd mentioned that they'd like to try it, so he told his story.

Daryl

Mausermolt,

That's a beautiful pics and one I know your proud of.

I know I would be.

Hope you have copy's in case something would happen to the original.

I once knew al ol' boy who claimed to have roped a wild elk from horseback. He said it didn't take long for him to cut the rope and ride out of there like his tail was on fire.
I believe there is a big difference in how a deer or elk will behave while in velvet vs later. The antlers I have been told are very sensitive.

Nate thanks for re-posting that picture. I had to save it to look at it myself.

Something West Texas Cowboys all wanted to do was rope a Pronghorn. My Uncle Hoyle Nix did it when he was young. It was just something to brag about.

Wow, nice picture! I bet after that, your mom would go to the local rodeo and say things like "Steer wrestling? That's for men!" ;)

my mom did team roping all through high school and still does occasionally. this picture was early or mid 80's i think. and no dont run from momma..she could rope me with a rubber band if she wanted to :D

Back