Physiology of double lung

One reason I started processing my own was b/c of CWD, but it isn't something I think I can avoid all that well. I am not going to concern myself with it until it is a visible problem in Ohio.

I figure that if Bambi drops in his tracks and when I walk over and see that his eyes have gone green, that's close enough to DRT to suit me. Not worth worrying about, seems like.

That's always been the case for neck shots, and for most of the cross-body heart/lung shots I've made.

Feel the same Art and after 2-300 deer, haven't been fooled yet. Course, guess there's always a first for everything.

I have been field dressing a deer and had them twitch a leg a time or three though. Just nerves.
That always makes ya think to keep your more 'manly' parts out of hoof-shot range. Don't wanna be singin soprano. ;)

I agree with Peetzakilla. I have walked up to a downed deer many times and thought I had gut shot it when looking at the entrance hole. Open it up and the lungs are gone and the stomach is untouched. The heart and lungs are a lot farther back than most people realize. You have quite a large kill area on a deer.

Back