Persimmon scat

(persimmon, not "permission" or whatever I first typed - think I fixed it. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!)

OK, since deer season is coming up....

For years I've been finding (as I'm sure many of y'all have to), scat that is chock full of persimmon seeds, and otherwise looks just like a runny/flaky mess (runny before / flaky later on). No round or oval droppings at all - just a lot of large chunky substance between and among the seeds with no specific shape or form (imagine a "thick diarrhea" blob if that helps, ha ha). And more light in color - just a light gray-brown, not darker like deer scat.

Since there were no oval / round droppings and due to the color, I always thought this was raccoon (or coyote), not deer - but my friend says its deer when they've been eating persimmons. I said no, if it was deer, there would be seeds but also some round droppings.

Whatever it is, there are a LOT of these critters in this one area - which makes me think my friend is probably right - I don't think raccoons or coyotes could leave this much.

What say you?

Last edited:
Looks about like this, though not as dark - I'll take a pic next time I'm out. I need to wait til Oct-Nov after they ripen then get eaten, to find some again. There's usually hair in coyote poop, but not always. There is no hair in these, so....maybe deer?

DSC_3378.jpg

Deer

If the fruit is plentiful, that would explain why you don't find pellets in the mix. They are simply taking advantage of the abundance of the food and it is probably good as well.
On the left coast I have found bear scat with nothing but black berry seeds and goo, or apple skins and goo. Base color is that of the fruit skin.

Last edited:
I'm no scat expert but my guess is coyote.

Looks a little big for coyotes.

Anytime I have found a coyote pile around my place, it looks something like that, but is just a tad bigger than what a house cat would leave.

Ever milked cows and been in the barn when they come in from the first day on new pasture? Same goes for deer when gorging on foods than vary differently from their normal browse. The reason for their "pellets" is because of their diet that normally is high in roughage. When white oak acorns are ripe around here, you find deer poop that resembles small cow pies or a calf with scours. Since Persimmons are a natural laxative and diuretic, it's obvious that stool from any animal that is eating a lot of it will be loose. As for exactly what kind of scat you are seeing with persimmon seeds in it, as others said, it could be anything from possum and raccoon, to coyotes and fox, to deer. All animals will take advantage of the bounty of the woods when it's there.

Looks a little big for coyotes.

Anytime I have found a coyote pile around my place, it looks something like that, but is just a tad bigger than what a house cat would leave

Coyote are larger in body in colder states than in the south.

I did post this photo on Iowa Whitetail.com and the consensus there was raccoon or coyote.

As for exactly what kind of scat you are seeing with persimmon seeds in it, as others said, it could be anything from possum and raccoon, to coyotes and fox, to deer. All animals will take advantage of the bounty of the woods when it's there.

Cant argue with this comment though

Possum no doubt. Never saw the seeds in Raccoon droppings. They're more dainty eaters. Possums just throw it down.

Back