Percussion rifle identifcation

Mapsjanhere, when you say industrial manufacturing, would that still put this rifle somewhere in the mid to late 1800's?

Had a great talk on the Hawkins at Friendship tonight.

The rifle may have been made by Abel Shawk of Missouri (1858-1861), Samuel Shawk of ST L. No (1836-7) or by Shawk & McClananhan ('58-61). All were At Louis based. The patchbox may have been added later.

See Missouri Gunsmith to 1990 by Victor Paul.

The markings certainly could be "shawk". I greatly appreciate you getting back to me with this information. I will have to do further research. Even though this rifle may not be particularly valuable and a wall hanger, I find it infinitely interesting to find out the history of it.

I wasn't aware of the Shawk and McLanahan revolver. Apparently from the video, Shawk is the same as the Abel Shawk I listed earlier. Samuel Shawk is more like the assembler of the gun. He must have southern roots so I'll have to check the other books once I get home.

https://youtu.be/fyChxEm7HIY

I have an old rifle that is stamped 'J.E. Willis', it is said he could have made 16 rifles, I believed he repaired rifle and then stamped them with his name.

F. Guffey

Oh no. Not steel wool. You remove the patina with steel wool.

If you must clean it, use a nickel (five cent piece) and organic coconut oil.

Regarding the deceased, you now have to go find his enlistment card and see what his occupation was. A gunsmith would, if he wanted to, become the regimental armorer and not have to see the elephant.

Fold3 or a trip to the National Archives. It will confirm his occupation, date of birth, physical characteristics and place of enlistment.

Mind you, it could be nothing too. The fellow could have been a farmer, store keeper, clerk, brickmaker, brick layer, wheelwright, cooper, etc.

Fold3 or a trip to the National Archives. It will confirm his occupation, date of birth, physical characteristics and place of enlistment.

Mind you, it could be nothing too. The fellow could have been a farmer, store keeper, clerk, brickmaker, brick layer, wheelwright, cooper, etc.

Back