Percussion caps comming off

ConRich

I just bought a Pietta New Army 44 cal. cap & ball revolver and have a problem with some of the live caps coming off the nipples while shooting. This has turned my six shooter into a three shooter. :-( I am using the recommended # 11 caps ,Remington brand. What can I do to correct this problem:confused: ?

TIA,

Rich

Thanks guys,

Double Deuce, I tried that, but some still came of under recoil / firing.

rodwhaincamo, I'll try some #10 caps to see if they work better, what type/brand capper are you using ?

Thanks again for your help,

Rich

#11 Remingtons are shorter than the #10s and sometimes don't go on the tapered nipple far enough to stay on. #10 Remingtons should be the solution to caps falling off.

This might be of interest:

Chart7_28_11_zpsff80173f.png

I have an inline capper but I don't use it.

I bought Track of The Wolf nipples for my Ruger. They claim to be deigned for standard (non magnum) CCI #11's, which I cannot find. Rem #10's fit perfectly on them. The cost difference between them an Tresso's paid the shipping.

caps falling off

after I cap mine I do what the DUELIST does, push them on with a small dowel, it does work!!

I saw a picture around here once of someone's thumb after a cap detonated under it when they were pressing it on the nipple. Ugly. Definitely use a tool of some kind to press the caps onto the nipples. And wear safety glasses!

Steve

I haven't bought them in a while but the Track of the Wolf stainless nipples fit the Remington #10s beautifully. They gently snug up and stay on without need ing a hard push like the harder walled CCIs or RWS caps.

There was a thread on THR quite some time ago about making a cap resizing tool by drilling the proper size hole in an automotive wire stripper (hat tip to OYE at THR). Tried it and it worked o.k., if you can take the time. The Remington #10 work fine for me on the Pietta Remington 44's, but they don't work well in the straight line capper I have ( not sure of the brand) unless I take a little off the legs with a needle file (another time consuming operation).

IDAHO GAITERS

Another idea that could help is that if you have caps that are to small, it is pretty easy to turn down the nipples until those caps fit.

IDAHO GAITERS said:
...... making a cap resizing tool by drilling the proper size hole in an automotive wire stripper (hat tip to OYE at THR). Tried it and it worked o.k., if you can take the time.
IDAHO GAITERS
I did this also and it worked OK but loading BP revolvers is tedious enough so I gave it up and try to find caps that fit. One problem in my area is Rem caps are nigh impossible to find locally. Basically CCI 10's and 11's are it. I don't shoot enough now to justify mail-order costs. One negative to living in the boonies.

Making caps fit

IDAHO GATORS, THR only has one black powder page and it isn't on it. am curious how the guy made wire stripers work? do you remember?

IDAHO GATORS, THR only has one black powder page and it isn't on it. am curious how the guy made wire stripers work? do you remember?

The thread it was mentioned in was many months ago and maybe even a couple of years. Use a cheap stripper don't modify one of the good ones.

Hold the wire stripper closed and drill any one of the wire stripper holes out
to 11/64. That is the size drill I used that seem to work the best.

Then set out several caps near the edge of a desk and just give them a squeeze.
And if you need to drag a needle file across the legs of the Remington #10
to fit a capper, do it while you are still holding it.

It was also mentioned that Remington 10 chronographed hottest, with CCI #10
next, and then CCi #11 with Pyrodex P. I found that to be true also.

The Remington 10's work the best for me. The CCI caps seem to be stiffer metal. I sometimes size the Rem 10's also for carrying in the field for longer term loading.

Hope that helps.
IDAHO GAITERS

Last edited:
One problem in my area is Rem caps are nigh impossible to find locally.

Idaho Spud

Don't know what area of the state you are in but Larry's Sporting Goods in
Nampa usually has Remington caps in stock. But I'd call first. Stocks Pyrodex also. Cabelas in Boise probably does too, but I avoid Boise. Driving to Nampa is bad enough. Idaho Gaiters

Caps are easily and symmetrically re-sized using a small socket from a ¼'' ratchet set. Either a 5/32” or 4mm size will work.

IMG_02135.jpg

Simply place cap on hard flat surface open side up and apply downward force with the socket. A gentle tap may be required. If the re-sized cap resists being removed from the socket gently grab it with pliers and rock it back and forth.

IMG_02165.jpg

I modified my socket slightly with a pointed stone on a Dremel tool to provide a forcing cone of sorts. The resized caps work well in my Ted Cash snail capper.

After getting roughly eleventy bazillion #11 Remington and CCI caps from a coworker, I opted to turn down the nipples on my '58 Remington. I can cap it easily with a cash snail capper, and the caps remove handily after firing.
Resizing percussion caps is up there with primer box juggling on my "things I'd rather let other people do" list. :p

Back