Pedersoli Sharps Little Betsy 357 Mag Single Shot Falling Block

The problem with that sight setup for me is that with the aperture way down the barrel you lose both advantages of a small aperture peep sight. 1st, the sight radius is much shorter exaggerating any angular displacement and 2nd, the aperture must be large to see the front sight through it, eliminating any benefit of a Depth of Field increase.
Understood. In my case (x2 astigmatism) it's kinda the opposite--when the aperature of the rear site is close to my eye it becomes a distorted blur and cannot be used at all as a reference. Granted the angular displacement thing is an issue (in large part because of the sight location and barrel length)--but is still better than say a pistol and I can still hit targets pretty consistently freehand out to 100 yds if I take my time steadying--faster at closer ranges. If I could use a peep--and I tried several--I certainly would. Anyways, it works for me (and I'm in general a pretty average shooter) and I'm very happy to have a non-optics alternative.

I agree with you that a non-optics approach is good. Of my 8 leverguns, 2 (Rossi '92: 24" 357mag and Uberti '73: 24" 45 Colt) have tang target sights and 2 (Winchester '59 Model 88 .308 and Savage '49 Model 99 300 Savage) have scopes as they are for hunting out here in the west where long range is the norm. The rest have 'std' irons and I use a variation of the 'target aperture' with them.

A small aperture stuck to my shooting glasses in the line of sight where I view my sights. It's a simple piece of electrical tape cut out with a hole punch and a tiny hole pierced through it. As it's about 1" from my eye, it increases the Depth of Field dramatically just like a peep sight. Surprisingly, the tape disappears from view and all I see is a clear space in the middle and the rear sights, front sights, and the target clearly. Give one a try. It might really surprise you. Best of all, it's free.

o6qhpOv.jpg

I think I've seen that suggestion before. : ) Let me ask you something--the reason I haven't taken to corrected lenses on glasses is because optically everything changes vs sighting without the glasses--so "in a pinch" (or in my case, the likely forgot my glasses or lost them) don't you find the shift in elevation and windage too much? I just don't like the idea of being stuck with a shifted POA as a result of glasses vs no glasses.

I wear progressive lens all the time. My shooting glasses are an older pair I had tinted yellow and added the spot to. It is located in the 'distance' portion of my prescription as the 'near' is down at the bottom. There is no shift of any kind looking through the small aperture.

Take a piece of black electrical tape, punch out a hole with your paper punch, make a tiny hole in the middle, and then stick it on your glasses and look through it. You'll be amazed. It's called optics.

When my astigmatism got bad enough that I couldn't see iron sights, I was also worried about all the complications with glasses. So I got Lasik! It's a miracle, I tell ya. And cheaper than buying decent scopes for every rifle in the safe. :)

Lasik works great for those who are nearsighted but unfortunately, I had my eyes checked and Lasik is not an option for farsighted guys with astigmatisms like me.

Back