PD selling confiscated guns a problem

Does being seized by the PD automatically end the title of a previous owner? Or can my legally purchased gun suddenly show up on a list of stolen guns when grandpa reports it stolen 3 years after it was confiscated from his grand kid? I'd want a "gun fax".

A lot of them might not be traceable to their former owners. Maybe the people who had them lost/stolen didn't record the serial number, or didn't properly file a report, or the gun traveled beyond the range of that report.

When I do private sales, I always do a bill of sale and look at the permit to purchase (Free, but required for handguns in MN), permit to carry (Not free, but also acts as your permit to purchase so you don't have to go through the hassle every time... plus it obviously allows you to legally carry), and driver's license.

If they don't have both a driver's license and a permit to purchase or carry, they don't get the gun.

If they exhibit suspicious behavior, I would also deny the sale, but so far I haven't had any problems.

Police departments go through a lengthly procedure when any firearm is recovered before final disposal. (NOTE WELL: This is what a "normal" Department does; departments in REALLY gun-unfriendly jurisdictions, like CA or IL do not qualify, unfortunately.)

All departments run the firearms through the Triple I (III) database. If your gun is stolen, AND a report has been filed, AND the firearm has been entered into the system, it never, EVER goes off the system unless it is recovered. When the gun is recovered, every effort is made to re-unite the gun with its rightful owner, and the gun is returned.

If the gun can not be tracked to a specific owner, then it is held for a certain amount of time (varies by Department, and also depending if it is evidence of a crime or not).

In Washington State, departments are mandated to then dispose of the guns to a licensed dealer. Unfortunately, some other jurisdictions (see above) can and do often opt for destruction.

Now, a very, VERY important message for YOU (yes, YOU) if you own ANY firearms. The single most important thing you can do is to RECORD THE SERIAL NUMBERS OF YOUR GUNS. Why?

If the guns are stolen, you file the police report. The guns can be then entered in the Triple-I database--ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER. If you do NOT have the serial number, the chances of you EVER getting your gun back go to zero. PLEASE record your serial numbers.

It is ultimately up to you to be able to provide a trail for weapons you have or have had in your possession.
Not any more so than that 9 iron.
I have all the serial numbers of guns I currently own.
I have no documentation of where/who guns went to, where/who I bought them from. I would guess most of it could be compiled through my e-mail, but I don't have any need to keep the info on file and would prefer not to.

I keep looking for confiscated gun deals. Haven't found any yet on anything but absolute junk. Surprisingly there seem to be very few Hi-points in the confiscated gun photos I see:)

Do a quick search for the Chicago PD evidence room, and look at the pictures of the guns confiscated there. Know well that after each gun has lost its evidentiary value, it WILL be destroyed.

You will get sick. VERY sick. :(

This story has cause a decent debate around Memphis lately because of how the law was changed sometime ago. apparently the Memphis PD takes in about 4k+ guns per year and roughly half are sold or traded while the others are destroyed.

Last night I heard a story on one of the local radios about a dude that had a family heirloom stolen and used in a murder that he could not get the PD to return and had to watch it be melted down:(

Memphis PD won't return a stolen gun to it's owner without PROOF the gun belongs to them. Proof is a bill of sale showing the SN. You can report it stolen without a bill of sale, but you can't get it back. Typical liberal thinking.

Does GA allow this?

Just wondering if there is a specific mandate in GA or if it was left up to jurisdictions. I support the idea that it's just property and should be able to be sold legally if possible to reduce the net cost of law enforcement on the public or to provide for additional law enforcement services or positions.

Destroying an inanimate object serves no purpose and other than being a politically charged subject cars kill more people than guns on a regular basis and my department auctions those all the time.

Back