Pawn Shop Detective Special

My point was,,,,,,and perhaps I am wrong, especially if you were raised up different that I..When the neighbor gets a new bull and he is proudly showing it off, everyone praises him on what a good deal it was, whether they believe so, or not. It’s a little thing called ‘common courtesy ‘. Don’t rain on another guy’s parade when his sun is shining it’s brightest!’

A good find, a good price, and good gun.

I have a 1974 vintage Trooper Mk.III It has the same glossy blue. At some point in time the hammer was replaced. If is possible that a smith fixed it at the time it was broken with a spare he had laying around in the shop, because it was what he had on hand. It looks like a hammer from a shrouded gun to me.

As for how it shoots. You did better than I would be able to. I do not do all that well with fixed sights most times. I can hold minute of inside the 8 ring at 5 yards. Inside the 7 at 15. That on a standard B-27.

Congrats on your new found treasure.

I've never seen a Colt hammer serrated like that on the top of the hammer stub, and I don't think it would have served any purpose had the gun been fitted with an original Colt hammer shroud (which it was not, as the frame is not drilled and tapped for the attachment screws), as that part of the hammer never rose above the level of the shroud.

My guess? Someone had thoughts of carrying it as a pocket gun, and they had visions of putting the ball of their thumb on the top of the hammer poll to aid in drawing it smoothly from the pocket.

I also don't believe that it's been reblued, as the stampings are just too sharp to my eye.

If you take a look at this image, you can see the hammer on a Colt factory shrouded DS. The hammer poll never comes above the arc of the shroud.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/product_images/u/880/C4036d__75173.jpg

Oh, and regarding price?

Here in Northern Virginia, a DS like that, even if it had been reblued, would likely easily sell for close to, if not more than, DOUBLE that figure.

Looks like factory finish to me as well. Unless it wasn't polished prior to refinishing. There's no tell-tale divots around the screw and pin holes and the side plate still appears to fit tight with the frame. However, normally they're polished while assembled together. The rampant colt is still sharp and distinct as well.

It still has an "off" look to it, though. :confused:

My first thought as to the added hammer grooves was to cut down on glare, but that's a bit far fetched.

Still tight and timed? Good buy!

I carried a factory nickel D'S after I traded an older one with the exposed rod for it. Never liked the "feel as well, but liked the ejector rod being protected.

My son traded a nib Agent, same vintage, for about $1300. My opinion, strongly, supports you got a good deal on a good carry/shooter.

I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, and I don't particularly care for snubbies, but I think I'd have been all over that before it got to where you could have talked them down to $325.

But I always buy high, and sell low. :D

Just a thought, but possibly the hammer was serrated as an aid to DECOCKING the piece.

Previous owner might have wanted a little extra "insurance" for his grip when lowering the hammer.

OR it may have been done as the first step before de-horning the hammer, and then the owner changed his mind (thankfully) and didn't have the hammer spur cut off.

Lots of things are possible, and we'll never know for sure, unless you can find the guy who had it done and ask him why.

I do agree it never had the regular hammer shroud, it doesn't have the holes for it.

In my book, any time you can pick up a tight, well timed Colt Detective Special at a Charter Arms/Taurus price it bears strong consideration.

I agree. I think you did very well for yourself. I just found a Colt SF-VI, the stainless version that was around for awhile in the 90's, for $375 and jumped on it.

Back