Passing on some ammo stockpiling wisdom

Rule #3. Disregard rules #1 and #2. Instead of buying loaded ammo , create TRUE shooting independence and invest all that you can into RELOADING, and even better bullet casting.

Several shortages ago, that was a good suggestion. Nowadays, if you don't look ahead, and keep your stock up, you can get caught with your pants down and SOL just like factory ammo. All you have to do is go to the reloading forum and see all the "where are the primers/powder/projectile?" threads and you'll see this is not the solution either. Folks buying reloading equipment now are in the same boat as folks buying their first gun.....nuttin' to go with it.

buck460XVR said:
Several shortages ago, that was a good suggestion. Nowadays, if you don't look ahead, and keep your stock up, you can get caught with your pants down and SOL just like factory ammo. All you have to do is go to the reloading forum and see all the "where are the primers/powder/projectile?" threads and you'll see this is not the solution either. Folks buying reloading equipment now are in the same boat as folks buying their first gun.....nuttin' to go with it.

Pretty much agree. Seems to be the common trend is that guys own several guns, and simply way underestimate how quickly guns eat ammo especially if you have a "happy finger". If it's one thing that reloading has taught me is the fact that reloading even with a progressive press takes a LOT of time invested. When you have to spend SO much time reloading you tend to shoot slowly and with purpose and precision.

Reynolds 357-post #24--
""I remember paying $19 a thousand for Sidewinder .22LR. that was in the early 90's.""

I have several boxes of Dynapoints (22LR) from mid 90s priced $9.97 (550 rounds).
I wonder if they will shoot when grandkids are ready??

Back