Pass throughs and the 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
DoubleDeuce 1 said:
In answer to your questions... Yes I have and yes I do.
Okay, we'll leave it at that.

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
...As for the source reference for the performance, I stated "if I recalled correctly." I don't think I am that far off if at all....
But I don't recall seeing those numbers and suspect that your recollection might be flawed in some particulars.

I recall Marshall's "one shot stops" data for .45 ACP showing roughly 90% for JHP, but around 60% for FMJ. But those were not penetration figures. I haven't seen any penetration studies such as you've described.

In any even, absent some citation to a source I wouldn't be prepared to accept those figures.

When I saw the title I thought this thread might be going down the "wrong trail" so let me make a few important points:

- There are quite a few calibers which will "pass through" besides the 9mm. The .45 is going to penetrate through walls and car doors just like the 9mm. It may not penetrate exactly the same, but it will penetrate with an entrance and exit. Its probably not a good idea to be behind the door when it makes its entrance and exit.

- All of the calibers should be considered lethal whether it be a .22 or a .45.

I believe this topic of 9mm vs other calibers has been debated into the ground and I have no additional information to add to that subject...

The reason I used 9mm in the title is because this is what is carried on a daily basis. The comparison of cals is not an issue for me as I have made my choice.

My intent with this post was to gather information and tips from others on the subject of pass throughs.

In rifle calibers the varmint projectiles seem to excel at dumping energy and material. There is much difference between 3000 fps and 1100 fps and I am certainly not an engineer although this seems possible.

Also in rifle cals there is the option of limited, expanding, and the super penetrating dangerous game rounds.

I personally would like to see components available for shallow penetration for personal use in congested environments . My reasoning behind this is that with proper training a threat could be neutralized with minimized collateral damage.

Constatine I have loaded some of the dpx projectiles. They are manufactured by Barnes. I have not preformed any penetration tests with these but they do seem to be a viable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back