Park my C&R for now?

I don't have a C&R FFL license nor am I an expert, what I do know is that there are no longer surplus of supplies in shops around my neck of the wood. I thought about getting one and start a collection for "display", kind of a history buff myself, but I decided that it is not that practical.
Just couple years ago, you can find European surplus almost in every shops...:mad:

My C&R was severely devalued this year when Bollmberg bought and paid for state government passed a new law that specifically excludes C&R holders from being able to use it for firearms transactions.

Will likely let it fade away, as our rights already have..

state government passed a new law that specifically excludes C&R holders from being able to use it for firearms transactions.
Several states have such law now but I don't think there is a list of these states anywhere. My fear is if someone with C&R from these unfriendly states wants to buy my C&R firearms, I may not know it is a violation in these state, mail firearm to buyer's home address and get myself in trouble!

I don't have a C&R FFL license nor am I an expert, what I do know is that there are no longer surplus of supplies in shops around my neck of the wood. I thought about getting one and start a collection for "display", kind of a history buff myself, but I decided that it is not that practical.
Just couple years ago, you can find European surplus almost in every shops...

A C&R doesn't necessarily have to be surplus. By BATF definition, it is anything over 50 years old. That means, for example, a Smith & Wesson made in 1965 is now considered a C&R.

Of course, there are also newer weapons that are specified on the BATF "list" that are also C&Rs after being specifically petitioned for revised status by individuals and approved as such by BATF. CZ82s are a good example.

I kind of look at my C&R as a $10 a year membership in the 50-year-old firearm club.

While there are already a bunch of C&R firearms out there, every year a new batch enters the "club". It's going to be interesting over the next several years which firearms from the mid-to-late 60's start becoming C&R eligible.

All this for 2.7 cents a day!

I have encountered dealers that are not familiar with C&R licenses and won't honor them. Their loss, as their paperwork is simplier than to a private buyer.
I will be keeping mine.

I let mine expire a few years ago since I hadn't really used it. I just sent in the paperwork to get it again and re-joined the Garand collectors ass'n.

Here is my thinking: If the CMP starts shipping 1911s, they may send them direct to a C&R and I want to be at the front of the line. I foolishly missed out on the carbines because I didn't "need" one.

If we face severe restrictions on all gun ownership in the next few years, some exemptions may be made for legitimate collectors. I want to be on that list too.

We just had a universal NICS check law passed in Washington, as far as I know, C&R license holders are not exempt from the requirement to process through an in-state FFL01.

I doubt very much if there will be any exemptions for us crufflers. The left hated the very idea of the C&R license back in 1986 and totally refused to change the definition of an antique from 1898 to 1918. Those 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields and 1916 Contract Broomhandles are weapons of war, you know, with no place on the streets.

The left has never compromised on their demands. The words 'Common Sense Gun Control' do not exist when the common sense is requested of them.

Oregon's new "Universal Background Check" law also ignores the C&R. It was mentioned during negotiation/wording of the law but a couple of the super anti-gun idiots specifically didn't like collectors and made sure they were excluded. So I'll probably let mine lapse.

Because, you know, those C&R holders are doing all those mass shootings with their >50 yo collections.

Massachusetts is another state that has never recognized the C&R, however that being said I recently got a law amended with the help of my State Senator to recognize C&R's to some degree.
Here we have the "list" of approved guns AND any firearm sold in Mass has to have been owned and registered in Mass before 1998 or it is not MA Legal.
The new law says that if you have an 03FFL and the rifle shotgun or firearm (in Mass handguns are firearms, rifles and shotguns are not) is a over 50 years old then the list and pre-owned requirement is waived for transfers from an 01FFL. You still have to register it with a FA10 form. The reason being is that I tried to buy a C&R from an 01 dealer and he refused to recognize my C&R saying Mass doesn't recognize them. This was aimed at him. Most 01's recognize it and will do the transfer but some won't and they may have a good piece that you want.

BUT the anti's in the Senate demanded that the law not take effect until 2021, well it was a victory of sorts.

Back