Paranoia or prudence?

Darthmaum

After reading SIG's thread, I was curious how many others out there are like me that carry more than one gun on a daily basis. (I'm also looking for a good knife to carry, any suggestions?)

When I went to my favorite gunstore to purchase my backup gun (a Det. Spl), the store owner asked if I was an LEO (I'd mentioned I was looking for a good backup gun). When I said no, "I just want one", he gave me a strange look as though I were crazy.

I personally think it's quite prudent to carry more than one gun on you. You never know what might happen, when you might need that extra firepower. Whenever I go out, I'm packing 31 rounds total for my P228, and 6 (right now) for the snubby. I'm also considering purchasing a HKS speedloader to carry w/ 6 rounds in it so I can reload the revolver.

Who knows what situation you may get yourself into, where your auto might jam, or gets taken away. I am constantly thinking about stuff like that when I'm out, assessing the situation and scanning the crowd. In a parking lot, I keep my left hand free (my shooting hand) and my SIG easily accessible. Sometimes I have my hand in my pocket, where my Colt is hiding.

We, who do this are sometimes scoffed at for being paranoid, but I take issue with that. I want to hear your thoughts!

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

Like the man said, Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. There is nothing wrong with a two gun system. I also get strange looks for carrying two pistols. I also have an SKS in the truck. I hope and doubt that I will ever have to use any of these, but I at least know that if I do need them, they are there. As far as a knife goes, you can't ever go wrong with Cold Steel. I really like the Kobun. I see from your profile that you live in Dallas also, if you get a chance, go to the range at DFW Gun Club, it's really nice and the staff are very helpful.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not all out to get me.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

For good knife try Columbia River knife and Tool. They make some nice lightweight Knives especially the STIFF KISS series. I carry one everyday

Darthmaum--

FWIW, I'd call a two-gun set-up a higher level of preparedness rather than paranoia. Under different circumstances one person's idea of preparedness may differ from someone else's. Some feel prepared with one gun, others with two guns, others with no gun at all. Same for extra cartridges. I feel fine with one pistol and one magazine. But someone else would only feel prepared with two magazines. In sum, IMHO it's a matter of personal choice and comfort level.

As far as the guy at the gun shop is concerned, an anti-gunner would look at him as though he were crazy just because he sells guns. But neither selling guns nor carrying two of them means that a person is crazy. :)

I can't be paranoid, I carry a pistol. Sometimes two or three. I don't think that you will need quite that much ammo unless you habit some really bad places but having two pistols makes sense. I carry the second pistol on my weak hand side. There are just enough times where I HAVE to use my right hand for something other than being able to draw my primary pistol (a C&L 1911A1) If the BG grabs my right hand/arm to prevent me from protecting myself, boy is he going to be surprised.

"son, you're about to hear the first half of a loud noise."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Greetings Darthmaum,
Bianchi Speed Strips can be purchased for around $6.50 a pair I believe. Better way to carry ammo for the DS. Have you left any room for a flashlight? ;) I don't think you're paranoid. If I could carry concealed, I'd look into a double shoulder holster for my Beretta 92FS pistols and still carry an Airweight Bodyguard. :) I have read that in a protracted gunfight there is a certain chance one's primary GUN could be shot and disabled. Something about your opponent's
eyes fixed on the direct object of the threat. Also, you may need to arm a friendly(like me).

[This message has been edited by JackNKoch (edited December 11, 1999).]

Paranoia? No. As was said your gun may jam, run out of ammo, be taken away, arm a trusted friend, and be used by your "weak hand" if your strong hand is injured or you drop your primary arm.
I myself don't feel the "need" to carry a second gun on a daily basis but won't fault anyone who is more comfortable with it. I guess the gun, flashlight, knife, cell phone. Are load enough for me.

Darthmum,
Carry how evermany you comfortable with, as for a knife, my personal favorite is still the spyderco's although the price has doubled to around $50.00--lifetime warranty, factory will replace when you do something knive wasnt designed for. As already mentioned the bianchi speed strips are very good ways to carry ammo, depending how your carrying that DS you might want to try a pocket holster, but if you do you might want to have the hammer removed and the top lined or crosshatched so it still can be shot single action if ya want. Just some ideas....later fubsy.

Knives.

Well if you want one of the strongest knives you could go with a Sebenza by Chris Reeve. The small has a 3" blade and will set you back $290 I think. http://www.chrisreeve.com/

Or for more affordable knives check out Ken Onion's designs by Kershaw. Switch blade feel but legal. http://store.yahoo.com/kershaw/ken-onion-designs.html

If you just want to drool check out Ken's custom stuff: http://www.park2.com/onion/

Here's another link with lots of customs for sale: http://knifeart.com/

Take care,

Dave

Hi Darthmaum,

No, I don't think you are paranoid at all. Incidently I live in Dallas as well and carry two guns routinely.

Before I go any further, I second the advice of a small powerful flashlight. The Surefire 6P is my choice in a horizontal carrier on the belt. Very compact and powerful. You'll use if far more day to day than any weapon. It can also illuminate the shadows to ensure they are clear before you venture into them and have to shoot your way out.

The primary is a Glock 20, one of my various S&W .41 Magnums, or a heavily customized Colt Lightweight Commander.

My Smith & Wesson Model 640 .38 Special is always there though loaded with Federal Nyclad 158-grain LSWCHP +P...either in a Rosen pocket holster or Alessi ankle rig depending on my clothes.

The backup gun gives you greater flexability for many of the reasons listed by you and others in this thread. In my experience, it seems to come in handy for arming a friendly who is unarmed (or didn't bring their gun for some sTuPiD reason). Mine has been given to my fiancee more than once as she chooses not to carry concealed. This is second only to situations that do not warrant the drawing of a weapon, but having your hand on the gun just in case makes a whole lot of sense.

Although I cannot comment on the other knives listed in this thread, I can say without a doubt that the Spyderco line of knives seems to be the most easily deployed under stress and many seem to share this sentiment. The ambidextrous "hole in the blade" seems to work best in a pinch for me.

I've been working with the Spyderco Military for about a year now and it's about the best production folder I've seen. It has a bigger hole which translates into a larger target for your thumb when the chips are down. Go to a local Spyderco dealer and try a few different models to see which feels best in your hand. The heavier but slimmer stainless steel police model is also a favorite of mine.

Of all the concealable fighting knives though, Bud Nealy's Pesh Kabz system is my favorite. It features a fixed blade knife with a 3 1/2 or 5 inch blade made of ATS-34 steel. It's an extremely flat Persian style blade with a reinforced point for stabbing. The handle is made of micarta slabs. The knife is carried in a patented kydex sheath that uses magnets to ensure the piece will not come out until you pull it out. The knife can be carried in 12 positions by simply changing the attachments. My favorite way to carry my 5 inch version is handle down suspended from the inside pocket of a jacket, vest, or blazer. Very fast and unexpected as the mode of carry is most unconventional. Further, a fixed 5 inch blade (legal in TX) is a much better weapon than any 3 1/2 long tactical folder. Price runs about $250 I'd say. Look in "Tactical Knives" magazine for more information.

One of my favorite configurations for the street is my primary gun in a shoulder rig with spare ammo, S&W 640 in my left hand jeans pocket, spare Bianchi speedstrip in the watch pocket of the jeans, Surefire 6P in a horizontal carrier to the right of my belt buckle, Pesh Kabz in my jacket pocket, and the Spyderco Military in my right side jeans pocket. This gives me easy access to a gun for my right or left hand as well as two knives and spare ammo for the backup gun.

Some of my friends joke around about me looking like a cop, but I take it as a compliment as the police certainly carry enough equipment to thwart the evildoers in our fair city.

Good luck.

------------------

If I buy a Keltec P32, I will carry it as a backup to my snubbies.

I always carry a knife(usually manual Microtech SOCUM).

Paranoia?

I think it depends on what your environment is - where you live, work and the areas you routinely drive through. How many times have you been put into a situation where you felt you needed a gun to get yourself out of trouble - road rage notwithstanding.

I'm 53, ex-military and an avid backpacker. I picked up my first gun in over 30 years (I owned before that) as a protection against two-legged critters in the deep backcountry of Tennessee/Georgia. You know, the "Deliverance" kind. (City folks and crooks are not going backpacking where I go.) Not based on any real threats, just knowing that I would be miles from anywhere/anyone, and I had a certain fear I think is reasonable.

In all of my years, I have been in maybe two situations where I felt threatened, and I've been in some pretty bad neighborhoods, but I've always been able to talk it through where nobody was hurt, read that "me".

I have just recently bought a second gun, a Sig P239 .357 Sig. It maybe be just coincidence, but I had just finished reading "Rainbow Six" when I started buying these guns. My environment had not changed, just my mind.

If you feel your environment demands you be armed for a major assault, as it sounds you are, then either carry or move the f**k out of where you live.

If you feel your environment, based on statistics and your own experience, doesn't demand the arsenal, to borrow from Jeff Foxworthy, "you may be a paranoid".

Also remember, when others see people armed to the teeth, they get scared. Just like you. And lots of 'em then turn to gun control rather that buying their own.

Personal choice.

At the risk of being flamed, consider this: arm for what's real, not what's imagined.

Roon

Roon

I think I missed something there. What does reading "Rainbow Six" have to do with the Sig 239 or your purchasing a second weapon?

Just curious, as a Clancy/Sig lover.

I recommend and carry at all times:

12 40mm Bofors guns
11 81 mm mortars
10 M16s
9 assorted Glocks
8 M1911A1s
7 combat knives
6 survival hatchets
5 extra magazines for each gun
4 backup derringers
3 months supply of MREs
2 battleship turrets with 3 16" rifles each
1 partridge in a pear tree (portable
cover and concealment and survival food)

Merry Christmas everybody! Especially to the folks who can't move for carrying all that hardware.

Jim

buzz_knox

I think it had to do with all of the "optimized" approach to life or death threats.

The thread goes:

I just got back from a deep backpacking trip in the Escalante of Utah. My partner brought along a Baretta 9mm. I liked it and thought it was not a bad idea to carry a weapon while alone in the backcountry. The Baretta, however, was really heavy.

Read Rainbow Six on the trip. That was also really heavy.

Got home, and went to the web to start looking up all of the weapons Rainbow Six carried, first being the H&K. I got fascinated with the machines, went to a gun store in Charleston SC, while visiting my girlfriend, to look at the H&K as an "optimized machine carried by Rainbow Six".

Very big for my small hands.

Then held a PPK, which I have always been drawn to after reading all of the Bond books. Didn't like the feel.

Then held a Sig p232, which my hand fell in love with. Went home to North Carolina and bought it.

Then, loving to learn, found TFL, discovered all about various tidbits, and bought the .357 Sig. (Also, buy when you can buy, cause you never know when they won't let you buy.)

That's the thread. Make sense??

By the way, just shot an H&K USP in Charleston. That, imho, is a great weapon! But I'm gonna stop with two. (At least for now.)

Cheers,
Roon

Back