Paper cartridge rolling paper... what do you use?

I have tried them backwards with two different bullets. One was a .45 cal SWC that often were too large to fit in the chamber (the guy who gave them to me said being .452" they slip into the chambers, and with a gorilla smash they'll expand in the chamber) as since they were flat based I flipped them as I've read of others doing such.

I also bought some 45-70 Gov't plinking bullets that were supposed to be resized, though they weren't. And so, again, I flipped them and shot them.

I didn't see any degradation in accuracy, and my ROA seems to shoot just about everything equally well from what I see. What I did notice were slightly larger perfect holes in the targets!

paper cartridge rodwha

you don't need to nitrate cigarette paper. It is already nitrated or similar.
A regular cigarette or zig zag will burn out without the nitrating. Not always but it will.
As to the .45 cal swc claimed to be .452 diameter.
Most of our revolver chambers are .446 to .449. Thus naturally a flat base of .450 and larger is going to be difficult to start.
The generally accepted Lee conical .45-200 for BP revolvers is one of them.
It typically casts a base of .450.
That's why I had a custom mould made based on their basic design.
Mine is about .020 shorter, more of a flat point.
The base has been rebated to .446. the two sealing rings are .455 .
And I do offer these for sale. Just PM me.(I think you and I already have)
Many shoot the .454 round ball or the .457. So this is in between.
I feel that the .457 is just too hard to load in our colt and Remingtons,
but is generally fine in the ROA which has slightly larger chamber diameters.
Hopefully next month funds will allow me to order another custom mould based on the above, with slightly smaller bottom ring and a taller rebate base so will sit deeper in chamber to start with and clear some of the smaller loading areas without having to use a dremel to enlarge the area.

I used American Spirits papers (100% flax) and often found small pieces of paper left behind in a chamber or 3. I'd pick them out, but then decided to just keep loading to see if it gave me any problems, which it didn't in the 3 cylinders full I tried. But I still wanted no trace of paper. I nitrated but never made them.

These .452" Colt SWC's were for a ROA with .453-.454" chambers. But they didn't drop in every time. Obviously the sizes weren't uniform. But I still didn't like them, and even had one or two back out under recoil. I melted them down…

I liked the 195 SWC's you cast. They worked well in my ROA.

swc

I thought we had talked before.
Glad you liked them. I recently reduced the price a tad also.
The .455 sealing rings should be just about right for the ROA
There is a never ending argument on the 1858 as to .451, .454, .457
In most 1858 the chambers are .446 to .449.
So techincally you could properly use the .451 and for a slightly tighter fit and shave a larger ring the .454, personally I see no need to force a .457 in.
Because these guns are technically .44 cal, then the barrel is going to be .440 or very close. If the barrel was .450 or bigger our ball squeezed and shaved down to the .449 chamber size, would travel down the barrel like a bowling ball in the gutter, no accuracy would be possible. Common sense will tell you that.
If the projectile does NOT engage the rifling to have the spin imparted into it, it would be like shooting a smooth bore musket.
In your ROA with the bigger chambers the 45-195r I cast which has a rebated base of .446 and two sealing rings of .455 would be the equivalent of using the .451 Rb in an 1858 instead of the .454. (.002 vs .004-.008)
It would fit the chamber tight enough to form a pressure fit. But not as tight as the .457RB most ROA's are recommended to use.
I would suggest you slug the barrel and get an overall diameter of the slug, but still the chamber is what needs to be fitted for.
Have fun shooting!

Did any of you ever roll paper cartridges for muzzle loading rifles? I just made up one for each of mine. Both T/Cs. A .45 Hawken percussion and a .54 Renegade flinter. I used tea bags since it seams to light easier. Got to go try them out now, but I'm not firing one round and scrubbing guns.

I make "cartridge" for my muzzle loading rifles, but these are not consumable cartridges like you are talking about for revolvers.

I make them per the 1855 and 1862 Ordnance manuals. These are paper cartridges that house the powder and bullet. The powder is dumped down the barrel and the bullet removed and put down the barrel by itself. The paper is entirely discarded.

http://imgur.com/a/i6cZq#0
http://imgur.com/a/n1hJ7#0

Steve

Well, I rolled 2 for my .45 Hawken percussion. One with plain coffee filter and one with nitrated filter. 50 gr of 2F Goex and a 265 gr minie ball for each. The nitrated one was no problem. With the plain one there just isnt enough fire from a #11 cap to burn through it. I had to pull the nipple and dropped about 10 kernels of 3F in the drum. If I converted it to musket nipples or 209 primers I think it would work fine.

Back