Painted my Mosin

turnerdye1

i was getting bored with it so i floated the barrel and gave it a camo paint job. me next things to do are to get a scope mount and a bipod for it

brown base coat (primer)
olive and khaki colors
a hint of black

t4wgzn.jpg

14w3crb.jpg

ds8k9.jpg

That's cool. I just refinished mine last month but with a boring wood stain. BTW If you want to mount the scope over the bolt it wont work since the bolt handle will strike the scope when it opens. The sniper models of the mosin actually have a bent bolt.

For the scope, brownells sells a mount that replaces the rear sight adjustment so you can keep the bolt the way it is if you dont get a long scope. Something to consider.

As for the paint, looks neat just not my flavor, I prefer the old school classic.

yea i plan on gettting a scope mount that replaces the rear sights

this was done with a rattle can. i used krylon camoflauge paint and i think it turned out good

I was afraid to open this thread but like a car wreck, I just had to look. I'm glad I did, that actually looks pretty cool.

I did a similar job with krylon camo paint on a mosin I used to have. Except I cut the stock forend and sporterized it a bit. Good for you. It's got character.

That is an abomination

I have to disagree, I don't think that it's an abomination. It's not what I would do to my MN, but it's his gun so it's his choice. You don't like it, move on to a different thread. While it's not my first choice, it looks like he did a good job on it.

thanks for all the great comments guys. i spent a good 2 hours painting it to get it to look just right. i found out that a lot of layers helps out a lot

my stock was all beat to heck so i figured it could use a touch up

as far as floating the barrel...you sand where the barrel lays with 600 grit sand paper. sand the whole length of the barrel channel. just the bottom part. do this until you can fit a peice of paper around the barrel and slide it from front to back without it hitting any snags. there is a video on youtube that shows you.

That is an abomination
Thats all in the eye of the beholder.

Most people dont have the balls to paint their guns, so.... it is what it is, if you dont like it, oh well.

From the standpoint of a gun thats going to be used, it makes perfect sense, as an unpainted gun really does stick out in the field, and especially when youre cammied up.

Ive been painting guns and stuff since the 60's. You name it, Ive pretty much painted it, from junk .22's and air guns up to my MP5, AR's AK's etc. The worst part about painting is, once you start, its hard to stop, and it starts to fall under "addiction". :)

If youre going to do more, a couple of hints...

First and foremost, degrease everything well, including your hands before you start.

Brush or spray, use the lightest color in your pattern as the base coat, and spray it on. 2-3 light coats so everything is covered.

If youre going for "break up" cans alone work fine, but dont get to busy. Youre just trying to break up the guns outline, and less is usually better.

This is kind of what I mean, but I actually got a little carried away myself. A little thinner and less on the stripes would have been better.
ry%3D400

Copying patterns many times is easier with a brush, but you can also get pretty good results with spray cans and notebook or printer paper templates cuts as needed with a knife.

Flecktarn with a brush...
ry%3D400

Multicam using templates and cans...
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

When youre done, its best to give the whole thing a couple of three coats or so of clear flat lacquer. It flattens and evens out the paint job even more, and also adds some layers of protection, and helps slow down wear from use and solvents from eating up the paint while cleaning.

Looks like youre off to a good start there Turner, and welcome to "painters anonymous".:D

wow thanks for that great write up. i like your multicam patttern. i also have an AR but im too afraid to paint that...just quite yet. i might later on when the finish starts to wear. painting a 75 dollar Mosin is a lot differant than a 1000 dollar AR lol

LOL I know exactly what you mean. :D

ry%3D400

It really isnt any different though, and if you use the right paints, it will come off, with a little work (no free lunch :) ).

Back