paint for front sight S&W 60

I always used nail polish. There is an almost endless number of colors, and it is easy to remove. Maybe they even have some that glows in the dark.

Jim

Ill second the nail polish. Walmart, and most similar places, have a wall full of any color you like.

I always use a glossy white as a base coat, as it makes the "bright" colors put on over it, a lot brighter when they are applied.

Fishing lure paint.
Nice bright colors and very durable.
Just make sure you put a base coat of white on first, then your color.

You don't want TOO durable since odds are that you will want to do some experimenting and want something easy to remove.

Jim

Back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth and i carried a revolver on duty, i painted the front sight of my S&W 64 with orange model paint. Lasted a reasonable amount of time and was easy to redo when needed. In fact i kept bottle in my locker and touched up as needed.

Yep. Nail polish, or model car paint.

I've used white out too, but I'm not even sure they still make that stuff.

What James K and others said. Get the to the Mart of Wal, cosmetic aisle. Look for the $2 nail polish, available in an abundance of garish colors.

And the glow in the dark stuff is not suitable for gun sights-regardless of what they tell you.

One problem with some of the glow in the dark stuff, it has to be "charged" with a light to glow, and it fades over time.

Real deal tritium night sights are the best thing for darkness. Your gun can have a dovetail cut for a new front night sight. I dont know what they are doing for rears on fixed sighted revolvers, though a small rear may be able to be dovetailed into the frame also in conjunction with an added front.

If your gun is the adjustable sighted 3" 60, getting night sights may not be hard at all. Once I got a set, I couldnt believe I waited so long.

Nail polish has worked pretty well when I've used it. White base coat and bright orange over that. Acetone or nail polish remover will take it off, but its fairly tough once it sets up.

ETA: Hey look, http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/best-j-frame-smith-wesson-model-640-pro-series/

Or google night sights on j frame smith

This would give me white paint that glows in the dark.

I did this with my old Astra 680 (about the same size as a Model 60). The standard ramp is unpainted and I wanted to make the fixed sight mode visible.

It worked. A white primer with the glow-in-the-dark paint on top. As the Astra has a gutter down the length of the topstrap finishing in a semi-lunar cut above the hammer, I did the same for that cut to I'd have sort of 3-dot sights.

It was visible in daylight but at night less so. My paint, although good, was not potent enough to retain phosphorescence all night long, especially as all my guns have to live in a safe when not used.

Anyway, all that means that the paint has to be "charged" with a UV light source before it is usable.

To cut a long story short, when I got my second Astra 680, I did not repeat the alteration.

I bought some bright orange nail polish at Target, and I discovered that the stuff has tiny flecks of glitter/sparkly particles mixed in. This makes it highly reflective, and it shows up really well on my J-frame.

-Sriracha

You're NOT over-thinking this.

You've just sketched out a longer term solution for your problem, and can approach it at whatever speed you wish, now that you are aware of various short-term fixes. Play around with the colors, see what is easiest to use in low-light conditions, what enables you to acquire a flash sight picture most rapidly, what lasts longest when applied, etc. When you do something permanent to it (or not), it'll be a far more informed decision.

Back