PA Law on Shotgun Purchase?

Oh, and it is not a straw purchase. A straw purchase is a purchase where you buy a gun for someone who legally cannot.
I think the BATF's stance on this (since 1995) is that if you buy a gun from a dealer with the express intent of selling it to someone else (i.e. someone else gives you the money or pays you for the gun) then it is a straw purchase.

You're bypassing the current legal process by which a firearm passes from an FFL to a buyer. The person who instigated the purchase, provided the money and ends up with the gun doesn't fill out the form and sign the statements on it, they don't get NICS checked, etc.

Here's BATF's current definition of a straw purchase.

What is a straw purchase?
A straw purchase occurs when the actual purchaser of the firearm solicits a middleman to conduct the transaction and complete the ATF Form 4473 in the middleman’s name. A straw purchase may occur when the actual purchaser of the firearm is ineligible to lawfully purchase the firearm or when the actual purchaser does not want a record of his or her purchase of the firearm.​
Note that being ineligible is listed as a possible REASON that a straw purchase takes place but it is not part of the DEFINITION. As it is stated currently all it takes is someone acting as a middleman for the purchase.

Here's what BATF says about what a "resident" is.

(B11) What constitutes residency in a State? [Back]

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

Here's what the BATF says about purchasing firearms out of the state of your residence.

(F2) May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State? [Back]

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.
In order for me to buy a gun here in NY they ask to see a copy of my orders assigning me to Fort Drum.
There's no civilian equivalent for "orders" to my knowledge.

Who cares? There is a published ATF ruling saying that an out-of-state college student is a resident of the state in which he is at school. I mentioned a perfectly legitimate way to do it that does not involve any magic mumbo-jumbo. Stop making this hard people. It really is pretty simple. He just needs to find a dealer not afraid of his own shadow.

Quote:
In order for me to buy a gun here in NY they ask to see a copy of my orders assigning me to Fort Drum.
There's no civilian equivalent for "orders" to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Back