P7

Maybe it's just me...

... but I've never had my P7M8's mag pop out unintentionally. Then again, I don't carry autopistols "Mexican Style"; I have a couple of nice holsters for my M8 and neither one trips the mag release no matter how zealously the gun is inserted.

These guns are some of the nicest combat autos out there. I lusted after one since seeing it explained in an article on GSG-9 while I was still in high school. Every time I shot one it just made me want one of my own even worse. Finally got one last year. Definitely a worthwhile acquisition...

RE: recoil

I find that my P7M8 cycles FAST! Recoil itself isn't bad at all, but after firing the P7, my 1911 looks like it's cycling in slo-mo! Sure clears brass with authority as well.

I think every point of the P7 has already been mentioned. VERY quality firearm. Still, should be cheaper, but hey, supply and demand.;)

FWIW, I've never experienced any "prodding" from the mag release.

9mmepiphany: I had always understood that the fluted chamber was to serve an extraction function. The flutes allow gas to flow around the case and help pop the case out of the chamber. Do you find yourself, after cleaning the gun, staring down the barrel just to admire the flutes and the polygonal rifling?

Tamara: The P7 was almost designed for mexican carry! Granted mex is an occasional, casual carry for brief times (running down to the general store, a trip to a neighbor's or friend's). I feel with the squeeze cocker, it is safe to carry mex, unlike a C&L'd 1911 or a DA just stuck in the pants. Try it, you'll like it!!

Anybody make a comment on the welding.

I noted in an earler post that there was welding that had taken place for whatever reason on the HK P7-M8 models. I also noted that it was mentioned that the HK slide was solid piece of steel. How can this be when in fact there is welding underneath the slide to hold it together or something together. I do not know what the welding is holding, but I would like somebody that is more knowledgeable than me to make a comment or opinion about the welding, and just not sweep it under the rug.
Sling Shot

I'm obviously going to have to check these out. The way it's described, it may be at the same time one of the safest guns ever for its owner, and one of the least for a BG. I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to spend that kind of money, but maybe I caan save up for it if I do indeed like it. I'm still suprised, even if HK holds a patent, that their aren't a few other variants being made. And considering the USP line is plastic and well made, I'm also suprised they don't have a lightweight version of the P7.

I am a bit confused on the location of the mag release on the P7 PSP. From the descriptions in this thread, it would seem to be on the heel, or bottom of the gun, like, for example, a Sig 232. However, a photo of one I saw had what looks like a recessed button on the left side of the grip about midway down? Am I mistaken? Thanks to all for the good advice on the P7 generally on this thread. It has definitely educated me and I am on the acquisition trail!

Chipperman, the photo your link has is a lot better than the one I saw earlier, and of course you are right about what I thought I saw. Thanks.

hickman - just so there is no confusion, the mag release is not the same as the p230/232. refer to the picture again, that little tab sticking down from the butt is the release...the difference is that it is pushed forward to pop out the mag, your index finger can catch a stuck mag and pull it free in a sorta "milking motion"...very quick and positive

slojim - there are no variants of the squeeze-cocker...too complicated, but 2 guns use the gas-delay blowback system. surprisingly both use ploymer frames.

the stealth, in 9mm and .40, from heritage arms is both smaller and lighter, approx. keltec p11 size. a south african design from alex dupressi(sic) that S&W was looking at b4 they went with the sigma (good judgement again). a hell'a gun in 9mm for <$300

the vektor cp1 is another south african product, they also make 9mm beretta-like pistol, a ipsc gun (took the world match a while ago), a 5.56mm bullpup (organiclly shaped) and a squad lmg. the cp1 package is a design from a design college, very ergonomic...sorta waterpistol/space raygun looking...yes more than a H&K P9S.

and finally...psp - yes somtimes i get lost starring down the barrel at the gentle waves of the ploygonal rifling and the flutes...reminds me of a starship going into wrap

keep in mind on the mag release, there are 2 versions for heal release. On the p7 the heal release extends beyond the grips about 8mm, making it an "m" model (I think). The psp versions the grips extend down to completely cover the release so the bottom of the gun is smooth. Owning both, I find the p7 is quicker to a mag change, but the psp is easier to carry because it does not dig in as much, (to much dunlop disease for me I guess).

No biggie. The breechblock area is welded into the gun. Its a pretty complex machining so it probably wasn't feasible as a one piece affair. Some guns have them pinned in. It shouldn't give any trouble.

GHB

Gentlemen, and lady,

Can you tell me more about the "heat shield"? I've seen several posts that remind potential buyers to "be sure you get a P7 with the heat shield".

I, um, may be a potential buyer... ;)

CMOS

CMOS,

The heat shield is the plastic thingie above the trigger that seperates the user's trigger from the gun's frame. P7M8s have the shield--P7s (PSPs) don't. In my experience it isn't a big help. The PSP has other advantages that make up for its lack of heat shield (snag-free and less active magazine release). On the other hand, the M8 is easier to take down and has a chamber loaded indicator.

GHB

Back