+P and +P+ experiences requested

Good Morning, 745SW,

You might want to look to a source with greater predictive value than ballistic tables. Ballistic tables are indices having little predictive value. My recommendation is to look at momentum. That is where you'll find useful info.

Were one to look at ballistic tables, one might conclude that the .357 Mag is superior to the .45 Colt. However, for self-defense, I'd go with a .45 Colt or .45 ACP over a .357 Mag every single time. It's all about momentum, which is predictive of penetration.

To note, my favorite 9mm range ammo is NATO-spec, which is generally accepted to tread at the upper end of SAAMI pressure spec to into +P.

I like the Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO quite a bit and buy it whenever I see it on sale. If you want to see what +P ammo is like in your 9x19 pistol, this is a good way to do it. It is, of course, FMJ ammo so it is much cheaper to shoot than top-of-the-line JHP SD ammo.

I generally select Speer Gold Dot standard pressure 124gr JHP or Federal HST 124gr JHP for 9mm SD ammo both of which have a claimed muzzle velocity of 1150fps. The Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO has a claimed muzzle velocity of 1140fps so it should closely mimic the recoil characteristics and trajectory of my SD ammo.

According to this, NATO spec 9mm ammo is loaded to a maximum pressure of 36,500 which would make it slightly less hot than 9x19mm +P:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2009/04/03/9mm-nato-vs-9mm-luger/

I don't know for sure that that is true but it would seem to be consistent with the muzzle velocity claimed by Winchester for the 124gr 9mm NATO round.

Thoughts: I don't think there is any magic, but have used, sometimes carried and chronographed +P+ ammo for quite a few years. Also used a bunch of 9MM+P, and Winchester and more lately IMI NATO. Apparently a number of US LE agencies see value in the +P+ ammo or it would not likely be in production. The first mention of +P+ that I can recall was the Illinois State Police 9MM load years ago. Most of the +P+ I've used does have more recoil than standard pressure ammunition. I believe it would take more ammo than anybody but Trump or a Government agency could afford to show that barrels might suffer in comparison with standard pressure ammo. Most manufacturers do not sanction use of +P+ in their guns due to lack of a SAAMI pressure limit.

In respect to 9MM specifically, FWIW I have never been able to detect any accelerated wear or damage from use of +P+ in my semi-autos or revolvers. I have used limited +P+ for chronographing purposes in some of my Marlin Camp 9 carbines. I do use the 21# recoil spring in my Camp Carbines as opposed to the factory 11# spring. I don't think routine use of +P+ in these little blow back operated Marlin carbines or similar, even with the heavier recoil spring, is a good idea. I have not used +P+ in guns of questionable ancestry or condition........ymmv

Back