Own a 44Mag Rifle, should I buy a Revolver

If you must buy a Ruger revolver, avoid their single action pieces. If you insist on one, DO NOT disassemble further than removing the cylinder. You would be much better served by the Red Hawk models. Just my $.02

When I research a purchase I try to ask myself "what unique niche will it fill?". It's not just about contemplating a caliber choice it's also about velocity and intended usage. Sometimes i'm in the mood for mild plinking, or flat , fast precision. Other times I just want a fierce BOOM thumping steel gongs to put a smile on my face regardless of precision. Ive got 24 firearms that IMO fill every possible shooting scenario but don't really have any duplicates. I have a few .308's but each is for a specific niche. My Savage 12 FTR is for competition, My R700 ACC-SD is for subsonic suppressed, and my M1A is for that wonderful "nostalgic" battle rifle experience. I have a few 9mm's but again a different need is filled. I have a SA RO 1911 in 9mm which is my precision proficiency advancement handgun, I have a Beretta 92 which belongs to my wife , and I have a 9mm Uzi which is more of a fun versatile plinker. I was thinking a 44 mag revolver or possibly a 41 mag revolver but where I already own a Desert Eagle 44 mag, neither of the revolver choices made much sense. I handload as well which adds much more versatile options to my shooting experiences.

Iffin you enjoy shooting your .357 revolver, odds are you'll enjoy shooting a .44. The versatility of .44 mag is a highly debated subject, but it works for me. I have two .44 revolvers and two .44 carbines. They all see both range fun and hunting scenarios. I load from mild to wild and they all find their way downrange at some point.

I enjoy 44 caliber revolvers. Full power 44 Magnum loads are more than I enjoy in a Blackhawk with the regular grip frames, but those same loads are fun in a Bisley Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Beyond cleaning the cylinder and barrel, revolvers seldom need to be stripped for cleaning, perhaps every 5K to 10K rounds or even more. So I wouldn't be too concerned about any difficulties that might exist with stripping the Blackhawk.

I would suggest that the screws of the Blackhawk be checked every 100 rounds or so. Some of the screws have a tendency to loosen fairly quickly, which can result in wear, damage, or lost parts if left loose.

My opinion.

I'm making up numbers, here. Do not believe them.

If you load 11.0 of Unique under a 240 grain JSP, you might get 1100 fps out of your 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. Shoot the same load out of your 20" 1894 Marlin and you get 1750, because of the longer barrel.

BUT, if you use a powder picked to make the best use of that 20 inches of barrel, you might can push that 240 grain JSP 2000 fps. Howsomever, if you fire those loads in your Super, you don't get 1100 fps, but instead only get 950 fps, and a HUGE fireball, since you don't have enough barrel for all the powder to burn.

So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
My best 44 fireballs were with lil'gun.:D

So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
What???!!??
I've been doing it all wrong!

I shoot everything in the rifle and revolvers, except for one box marked, "Rifle Only - Probably safe in SBH, too, but sketchy" and one box marked, "SBH Only - Too long for 1894".
My favorite is a 790 fps load with swaged 240 gr SWCs. They're even slower out of the rifle. They're quieter than my .30-06 with a suppressor on it.
Quiet, gentle, and sublime... ;) Did I mention that they're accurate? It's a pop-gun load, but it sure does work. :D

I would. I have a 629 classic 44 that doesn't get fired much. Bought it for hunting, so I don't really get to shoot it much. In your situation you would get a lot of use out of your 44, if you purchased one. Mine gets taken out of the vault maybe twice a year. So I would say yes get the 44 if you really want it, and enjoy it at the range.

Lever action rifle and SA revolvers in .22, .357, .45 colt and .41 magnum. I say go for it.

Someday may add .32-20 to the collection.

It is a bit tricky--but I did it and my super Blackhawk has suffered no ill effects from a trigger change. I'm a knucklehead when it comes to revolvers.:confused:

I've got a cpl Marlin carbines in .44 Magnum that are the cat's paws for deer hunting in the woods surrounding our farm...and also have 4 .44 Specials and a pair of .44 Magnums...I've enjoyed finding loads that were accurate in each of the .44's. In .44 Magnum, you'll find that the rifle/carbines use a different bullet diameter which affects the bullet seat and groove dia. Rifles are 0.431" and handguns are 0.429". It doesn't make a difference with jacketed bullets but is a major concern accuracy wise with the handguns. YMMv Rod

If you must buy a Ruger revolver, avoid their single action pieces. If you insist on one, DO NOT disassemble further than removing the cylinder. You would be much better served by the Red Hawk models. Just my $.02

I think Ruger SA revolvers are the best SA revolvers on the market, for the money. No, they aren't Colts and they don't pretend to be (New Vaquero excepted :rolleyes:)

Not disassembling any revolver past removing the cylinder is fair advice, but few people will follow it.

Better served by a Redhawk? Maybe, if you don't mind the larger size, greater weight, different grip shape, trigger reach and a DA system that I neither like, nor need.

The Super-Blackhawk is a great gun. If they made it in 45 Colt, I would have one. If you're a 44 magnum guy, it's a must-have. Black-Hawks and Vaqueros are also nice.

Back