Overheard something at bass pro shops today

MrDontPlay

I went in to grab some CLP and check out a beretta today at bps. On my way out I saw a girl maybe 13-16 ( hard to tell these days) looking at some pepper spray. Her mom was saying "no way, your not old enough, I would never buy you anything like that!" she sounded pretty ****** about it too(the mom). Now, I'm not sure what the legal age for carrying pepper spray here in Springfield mo is but I wanted to tell the mom that murderers and rapist probably don't car how old she is.

I paid for my stuff and walked to the car and honestly was just getting more ****** off the more I thought about it. Hopefully the girl doesn't think she'll be needing it for a specific reason.

What's your guy's take? Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the mother doenst understand the idea of being prepared for the worst. I would be tempted to say something to the mother (not lecture her, but just say "it's not a bad idea"), but im not gonna get inbetween a child and its mother, there kind of like bears.

I understand what you are saying, but I think a person that young would need some training to use pepper spray. I have an LEO friend who contends that it will get you killed. He said it is very hard to use without getting either hit with some or getting it on your hands & then in your eyes.

Eh, I'm not a parent but I don't think I'd let a 13 year old carry mace. Teenagers have notoriously terrible judgement. Even if you have a decent kid that you trust, you don't know that she (or he) is going to use it wisely.

16 y/o, when she's starting to go out on her own, is different.

im not gonna get inbetween a child and its mother, there kind of like bears.
lol:D

I know a lot of mothers who are so overprotective of their children that they fear the idea of the child hurting themselves with the defensive weapon more than they fear the thought of the child not being able to defend themselves had they been attacked. Those who live sheltered lives will lack much needed life experience when the time comes for them to live on their own...:rolleyes:

All good points. I think maybe the mom should have took the opportunity to find out why a teenage girl thought she needed it rather than blowing up on her for suggesting it. The way the mom acted just struck me as kinda odd, especially in the gun section at bass pro.

Agree training is key. Let's assume the teen is uber-responsible. What about her friends that know she carries OC / Mace? What's the chance that a joke from one of them only sprays a drop or 2 as a joke in a mall or to clear out a classroom? Who's going to get in serious trouble for having it, regardless of who sprayed it?
With due respect, I would teach other types of self defense to teenagers instead of giving them OC/Mace.

I know a lot of mothers who are so overprotective of their children that they fear the idea of the child hurting themselves Shredder 4286. You hit it right on the head. I was that way with my oldest Girl. Afraid she would hurt herself. Rollerskates,bikes,ect ect. Now im to blame for her not being to skillful in life,(2 left feet so to say). To the OP It's a hard call to say something in that situation. You want to,but ????. The point is your heart is in the right spot and if more people thought like you did there would be less crime in this world. I commend you on your thoughts.

Last edited:
This reminds me of so many of my younger friends and when I was younger. Ever since I was 13 I understood the use of defensive tools, and what knowledge and responsibility it took to carry them. That being said, I always offered to teach someone to use something, anything. I've had too many good friends go through traumatic events that I would have given anything to prevent. A good friend who I've known for years is 17 and her father recently gave her some OC spray. I told her it's a start, but she needs to be able to carry it and access it if needed. But, I also think it's false hope in many cases. I've been hit with some when I was younger, by accident, and it hurt. It didn't do much though, and a determined attacker can fight through it.

It's too bad this situation didn't turn out better, if the young girl suggested it it's likely that she feels she may need it...

What I know of the girls and schools in springfield leave me wondering about that situation. Out shopping with mom and no child with her, and looks 13? What, guess 16 years tops? and she asked her mother to buy her mace.

Yes, you must ask why, and so should her mother. that scenario plays out, to me, as a huge failure of parenting.

There are a few things playing out in my mind. One, the kid is a total airhead, and just thought, "oh, mace, I ought to have some." As father to one of the worst airheads on the planet, I have been asked to become involved in the craziest schemes on planet earth. (NO, she never asked for mace. I barely trust her with nail polish.) This can cause a parent to come completely unglued at times. Another is that she is a bad seed, and wants it to cause trouble. Don't second guess how rotten some girls can be. She may intend to nail one of her "friends" with it. It could be that her mother is just a whack job too, and the whole performance was predictable.

The last thing I want to believe is that this kid is seriously in fear of being hurt, or is already being bullied or harrassed, and this was a sincere need. It's a pretty likely scenario, however. It isn't a happy thought.

It was really not good growing up in the period that I grew up in. I can't even comprehend how much harder it would be growing up in springfield now. The stories I hear from the people I know aren't happy.

My mother is pretty anti-gun & weapon, but she doesn't give me too much guff about carrying and I've had an affinity for bladed weapons since I was a teenager.

My little sister went off to college a few weeks ago and I gave her a "care package" of my own - can of mace, keychain baton, and an nicely broken in folder. When she's home for Christmas I plan to take her shopping and let her pick out her own blade. We did not, and are not, going to tell our mother:)

Yes you hope it's not for pranks But I'n this day and time i believe all girls say around 10 and up if they are good any good sense should carry o/c spray. It sounds like her mom was not a carrier of it neither. Yes she needs to be taught how and when to use it. Buy a spare can. And spray it at something and then give her scenarios and let her spray it at different things. Shake the can a few times if you got time, aim and spray. Not too hard. Yes these are very different days than when we grew up I'n. Dont wait until after the fact

I guess the mother doenst understand the idea of being prepared for the worst.

My mother and father let me own bb guns for my self defence as a child. :D

I remember getting my first handgun bb gun my mother wasn't happy about that even though I had a rifle bb gun.

I am a Sabre pepper spray instructor and for what its worth, all students in our class must be 18+.

As has been said, I'd be hesitant to give pepper spray to anyone younger, although there are certainly times where they could use it.

Kids are different. I've known some 13-year-olds that I'd feel comfortable with carrying a firearm, and others that I didn't think could be trusted with a bottle of cheap perfume. FWIW, my younger sister (16) carries OC spray and has had to use it a couple of times (aggressive dogs while bicycling), but she's not exactly "typical" amongst her peers.

You know, mental illness exists in children, too. I once encountered a couple of little girls in my neighborhood. Definitely still in grade school.The youngest had pretty solid indicators of Pervasive developmental disorder, and did show an awful lot of symptoms of sexual abuse.

A kitten showed up at our home, and basically came inside and made herselr at home. a while later, these kids showed up and told me that it was their cat. They started visiting my home to see her and my other cats.

I swear, the older one, 4th grade maybe, had me worried to death that she was trying to seduce me. She always brought her sister, maybe to act as witness or guard dog.

I don't know. After a few of these in home visits, I no longer let them in the home, and was even very uncomfortable having them in the yard.

I would have rather defended myself in court against a shooting than defend myself against DHS, the entire LE community, courts and jurors, and then, when they send me straight to hell, my cellmates.

Kids, especially little girls, worry me more than dogs.

16 y/o, when she's starting to go out on her own, is different.
I agree, but even then, as has been said, it depends on the person, the parents and above all, the upbringing. When I was 16, I already knew the girl I was seeing was going to be my wife. Since she has been for 36 years now, I guess I was pretty grown up. OTOH, there were some 24 year olds I wouldn't have trusted as far as I could throw them, then as now.

I find that if I mind my own business, I tend to get into less trouble. Your milage may vary. I don't want a leture or opinion from a stranger, hell, I don't even want that from the wife :rolleyes:

One point for the OP to ponder on this. Does the mother know the young girls temperament, and behavior better than the casual observer. Maybe the mother was displaying a responsible attitude, and concern for others!
Just a thought!

Back