Overcharged? . . . Yikes!

I don't know how many stations you have on you press. If you can find an open one,a "Powder Cop Die" might be an option.

On your question " What size should my groove dia be" It is what it is.

The point is to select a cast bullet .001 larger. Gas leakage past the lead bullet is a problem

Prof Young,

The 1911 barrels are cylindrical between the chamber features and the dog nut swell for the bushing (if your barrel has one). After the incident, mine was about 0.003" fatter in the first inch in front of the chamber than it was down the rest of the barrel to the dog nut.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1911 Barrel.gif
    1911 Barrel.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 206
Good analysis on the backed out primer Unclenick. Looking at it carefully i agree that an OOB discharge is likely not the culprit. More likely a double charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His was with the bullet pushed back. Mine wasn't. But I also didn't try to tweak the default case capacity up a grain to where most brass actually is, and we don't have an actual bullet length, so the numbers will be very approximate no matter how we roll them. None will be within normal 45 Auto values, though.

No radio on, no TV on, dogs out of room, nobody else in room, dont load early a.m. or late p.m. Dont get NEAR press if anything crazy happened to you that day. Finally realize that bumper sticker is correct "'STUFF' HAPPENS":rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm convinced that a powder useful in more than one caliber is not a bad idea.

I am convinced that having a case blow out like that is to be avoided.

I would suggest:
- you pull the bullets from ten or so other loaded rounds in that 'lot' and double check the weight of charge.
- you clean and inspect your pistol for flaws in the barrel, recoil spring, extractor and so on.
- presuming the pistol is not damaged, start your testing with that load again, from the lowest charge and work up.

Yes. It is scary. Being reminded of one's own mortality and ability to make simple mistakes usually is.

It's the Ford Blue color that is making the difference. Everyone knows Atomic Yellow is higher on the periodic table, so it weighs more. ;)

I use Titegroup exclusively in .45acp and .38spcl. Both cases have volume enough to allow an unnoticed double charge.
I have to disagree with the 45 acp. that a double charge would go unnoticed. 10+ grains is something Ray Charles would see. Why didn't the barrel blow? Barstow maybe would stay together but a factory barrel from Rock Island I think not

More to come . . .

Okay, I've disassemble all 60 plus rounds in that batch and weighed the powder out of every single one. The loads ranged from 5.0 to 5.4. Most were the set level of 5.2.

I've cleaned and inspected the gun. No anomalies that I can tell.

Given Unclenicks diagram above I'll check the outside barrel diameter and let you know.

I've loaded some with a minimal starting load and will take them to the range this week.

What a scary way to learn stuff.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I had the same thing happen to me with Tightgroup in 45 Colt. It was 100% my fault as I was setting up to load on LNL and had one case going around. Checked the weight, poured powder back into case and then got distracted and put case right back under the powder measure. Loaded up another 49 rounds. When that round went off it scared the crap out of me. Had the numbers run through quickload and it was in the danger over pressure range.
Had the Blackhawk checked and was ok.
That was the first double charge I have ever had in many years of reloading and hope it’s the last.

Back