overall most practical barrel length

Kramer sells a holster which is perfect for a short snubbie. IMHO a civilian who has to carry should carry very deeply concealed so as to not frighten the sheeple. In the Kramer holster a 2.5 inch barrel works well.

As much as I like 3" double action revolvers, I would have to pick the 4". Its really not the length of barrel (within reason) but the grip that usually makes the handgun hard to conceal. I have a parkerized S&W 4" Mod. 15 with a set of rosewood target grips I sanded and cut down to the size of what are now called boot grips. That gun is as easy to conceal as a 3" K frame. Heck of a good shooter too!

i like my 3" 696 .44 spl on the L-frame as a nice house gun, but...

the most practical, for me, in .44, .45 or .357 would be the 5" N-frame

if i had my druthers, ruger security-six, w/round butt, screw on a python barrel shortened to 5"
:cool:

I've come to the conclusion that for me, whatever model I get, the longest barrel they offer is usually too short for comfort anyway.

6" is way too short, 8" is getting there, 10" is workable and 12" would be even better.

For a Texan, you can just stuff it down the front of your pants and the bulge will look normal; for non-Texans, you can always get a Dan Wesson with interchangeable barrels :D

Seriously, the longer the barrel the happier I am. If I had to carry it, it would be under the shoulder, just like I carry hunting anyway, not a problem for me. Ranking your specs in order of importance, concealability is never at the top of my list.

what is the perfect length?

I guess everyone has a different solution to that question. I don't carry so that is not a factor for me, I use mine mainly for hunting and long range target shooting. I find that a 7" works for me on my single action hunting 44's. Easy to hold offhand, very accurate and easy to carry when working my way thru the brush or pines without it getting in the way. But for strictly accuracy and long range shooting, a 10" is the way to go. I guess though for what you are wanting, a 4" or 6" would be ideal, too short and it's harder to shoot when you're out trying to hit a distant target, if it's only for casual plinking and mostly concealed carry, a 4" would be max and a 3" would fit better when you're sitting and not jabbing you in the side or hip.. I think you gotta stuff one down your pants, shoot some targets and hold it out there to be able to decide which feels right to you.

Barrel Lenght

I would have to say that the S&W Md 13 or Md 65 3" is the finest combat revolver that I have ever had. I have 2 Md 65 that I built at the S&W Armorer School. After that I sent them to Mag-n-Port. It is really the perfect barrel lenght, the way that is feels in your hand is great. It just points right, you would have to pick one up to see what I am talking about. I carry one of them all the time, with 125 HP 357, and a back up speedy loader. Feel very certain that I can take care of business. Just one persons thoughts.

Back