Over powder wad

A 4" group at 75 yards with a round ball launched from a 1:32" twist barrel is FANTASTIC I think. Stay with the load that gives you the tightest most consistent groups and go fill that freezer. I just harvested a 7 point Saturday morning with a .50 PRB over 90 grains at about 25 feet, the deer looked like he got hit with Thor's hammer ;), So, no doubt that .54 will do you right. I'm gonna have to get out my .54 and take it out I guess. But the Traditions Kentucky rifle is SO sweet at about 7lbs.

Thanks to all of you for the info. It will not be wasted. I am going to 'try' some Lead* Powerbelts and see what happens. From what I have seen on targets and gleaned from your responses, the RB loads will always be my fall-back-to loads when all else fails or I see no discernable benefits from Powerbelts (cost vs result). As stated earlier, 75 yds is a long shot at my place here in Mo.
Sorry for the delay but I had to take some time off and visit my new Granddaughter out in Tuscon.

* if copper is preferred by y'all, let me know

Wasp nests were somewhat commonly used as wadding back in the day. I have used it as a muzzleloading wad for shotgun just for some experimentation and had no problems with it. A little bit of it between powder and lubed wad might be a good way to keep the lube from migrating down into the powder. Just a thought.

Gary

When you box up your wasp nest and send it to one of these fellas for wads.....be sure to include all the critters that live in or on it...so they can make more nest wadding for 'em! :D

Back