Over 35 g. in the 1858?

George, Thanks for the info on the "fake BP". I was always under the impression that powder like 777 was just hotter and that was the only reason for there suggestion on the lower charges.
Also an artical I read from Goex said that you use there new Pinnacle just as you do there BP but your chart site shows that not to be true either.
Thanks again, I added that site to my favorites just for future info, Mike

Mike,

Yeah, I'm trying to use up my 777, then gotta use up some APP, get rid of this expensive stuff, since I found a place near me that sells GOEX.

Hard to find real BP near here. Have to have a vault to be able to sell it, and the dealers don't wanna do it.

And, real BP smells kinda like them matches you scratch on your ass, don't it?

Cheers,

George

Hey, did you ever put a little pile on a piece of stone or something, light it?

Do the same with an 06 charge of smokeless.

It will teach some what the difference is between BP and smokeless.

BP is an explosive. Smokeless is a propellant, must be confined to be destructive.

George, I've done tat with BP but not any of the subs. When i was a kid we made alot od BP and got in trouble with Dad more than once:)
3M corp had a plant not far from our house where they made battery acid and we could get all the pure solfer we wanted. It was laying all over the ground. The local drug store sold salt peter and charcole was no problem.
We made some really powerful stuff and it's a miracle that none of us lost a hand or worse. We made a connon out of a 2" pipe once and the thing worked the first two times loaded with powder and rocks. The third time it shattered and pieces went sky high. As an adult today I wouldn't even think about makeing it!:eek:

Mike,

The point is, the BP will just go boom, not confined, so just an instant flash, taKe your eyebrows off.

5 pounds of smokeless will just sit there and burn.

The subs will do the same. Instant combustion. No progressive pressure build up as the smokeless powders do. When they speak of a fast burnig or slow burning powder, they mean it has burnt up in the first 1/3 of the barrel, for fast, but still burniing near the muzzle, for slow burning powders, still building pressure.

They DO make WAY higher pressures than the BPs and subs do, 45,000 psi or more, where the typical BP load will be less than 8,000 psi.

Now, we gotta remember that, when Col Colt made his original revolving pistols, he was making cast iron cylinders. Cast iron does not stand up to sudden pressures. Brittle, will burst. Steel, as in our modern copies are way better, and should hold all the powder you can put in the chambers, without bursting.

Brass frames may stretch, over the years, though the base pin, the arbor, is anchored to the brass frame. I don't know how these frames can stretch, but everybody says they do.

I quit for tonight, gots to go to bed.

Anybody has a rebuttal to this, see you tomorrow.

Cheers,

George

Oh, ****, I shoulda said if you want to try this, with the BP and subs, lay a trail from the pile to a couple feet away. You might just blow your hand off if you don't.

It ain't like the pirate movies, where they take a keg and lay a trail, then light it and it just goes "sssssss" at a foot per minute.

It will flash to the main charge, kaboom!!!

Cheers,

George

Back