Outfitting wilderness vehicle

Just about any header will give you better flow, not sure there is a big difference between any of them for the Samurai.

The biggest restriction in the stock system is the head pipe, between the manifold and the cat converter. It is constricted inside by another pipe that is maybe 1/2 the diameter of the exhaust pipe.

If you know anyone that can fabricate you a cheap 2" exhaust you can use the stock manifold and save you some money.

Dual batteries are a good idea also. A higher output GM alternator would be another good upgrade (also easier/cheaper to find a replacement). Also the jump-boxes are pretty handy too. Used one while out on a trail to jump start and it made it so much easier.

For communications in Alaska I would invest in an HF SSB tranceiver (High-Frequency Single Side Band) that is capable of transmitting on the Alaska Emergency Frequency. This frequency is monitored by all State Trooper Communications centers. An even better alternative would be to get your Amateur Radio license. Then you could use the radio for routine communications rather than in emergencies only. Go to http://www.amrg.org/hfssb.html

to find out more about Alaska communications. You may even want to email that group and get their opinions...as I have no actual experience in Alaska. To learn more about Amateur Radio and it's benefits find a "ham" near you and ask them....if you need help finding someone let me know.

Andy
aaknitt@mtu.edu

Back