Out of the Box or Bring to Your Gunsmith?

I am surprised at some responses, such as that by UncleEd.

I, for one, am not suggesting that gun manufacturers do not know what they are doing. I am suggesting they build for a mass market, and so they go with popular features sized and spaced for average hands.

I have long hands and fingers. This makes some standard configurations somewhat uncomfortable. Glock trigger guards are not my friends. Extended safeties and mag releases are unnecessary for me, and can result in inadvertent engagement. Short triggers on 1911s can result in too much finger for me.

So, I no longer own Glocks. My 1911s have extended controls milled down or replaced, and medium or long triggers instead of short.

I have also found that I do not like 3-dot sights. I am faster with a Straight-8, Tac-8, Warren, or single dot - so I tend to replace factory sights with one of those options. I have also experimented with, and like, a front gold bead.

I love CZ pistols, for ergonomics and reliability, but am not as fond of their stock triggers. Matt Mink (Automatic Accuracy) and Angus Hobdell (CZ Custom) smith some fantastic 8lb/4lb DA/SA triggers, so I buy from them.

Factory stock is fine, but that does not mean factory stock is ideal for a given individual. Some folks think this is gun snobbery; to me, it is simple human factors / ergonomic refinement.

With regard to the car analogy, I tend to upgrade brakes and suspensions on performance vehicles, and tow packages on trucks. Also, I have a long torso, and insist on comfortable seats for my body type.

Shocking, I know...

I shoot it the way it comes from the factory then I take it to my gunsmith.
Every gun can be made better imo, S&W never designed a gun for me but my gs can make it feel that way!!

Back