Out of small rifle primers . . . but .  . .

Prof Young

Well, I'm now out of small rifle primers, but the 223 shelf in the ammo closet looks pretty good.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Out ? Hmm not sure I’d want to get that far on anything . I try to leave a few of everything just in case something new comes a long I want to try or I end up needing more of this loaded then that. I’ve ran into that before but it was with cases . Loaded up all my preped cases and a month later a range trip was planed with short lead time that required a completely different load then I had loaded .

I've been using Y2K leftover primers I found in an ammo can from when I moved years ago. Tested them out - still work fine - same range of velocity check by LabRadar. Leaves me about 5000 primers to use unless I find more in my stash.

Small pistol primers leaves me about 3000 left.

Sure hope this CRUNCH ends soon.

"Hopefully things get better and not worse."

Yes, we can hope. But this time, the political fundamentals of the country have shifted far to the left and against our shooting sport and hobby.

I'm not optimistic things will get any better any time soon, if they improve at all...

Bayou

Not reloading or shooting as much

I’ve begun to ration what I load and shoot. IMO It may be early 2022 before things start to return to normal primer and powder supply availability. At least that’s what I’m thinking. Also going back to shooting 22LR.
What are you guys thinking about this?
And please none of the snide remarks of the like: “we should have known better and stocked up on reloading supplies you morons.” Not everyone has the resources to do that.

Last edited:
Airguns will keep your trigger finger in tune. The CO2 guns come in numerous styles and weights. And you don't even have to travel to the range to use them. I haven't tried Airsoft, so I don't know if it is equivalent, though it won't have match accuracy as some pellet guns do.

If things don't get really out of whack, we should hopefully see this dearth of ammo and loading supplies begin to ease in maybe a year...?? Just my feeling about it from previous shortages. If the Remington production facilities get up and running, ammo and primers should become available in the future. It probably pays to be stingy with what you have on hand and try to stretch things out.

Amen, Sir Colorado Redneck! One must plan for future uncertainty and anyone who didn't see this coming from a long way off hasn't been paying attention.

Assuming the zombie apocalypse crowd and the hickory nut militias have finally come to the realization that declaring war on the US and each other isn't the best idea after all--I anticipate the shortages should start easing up soon.

IMO It may be early 2022 before things start to return to normal primer and powder supply availability. At least that’s what I’m thinking. Also going back to shooting 22LR.
What are you guys thinking about this?

It's what I'm doing as far as cartridges that use small pistol primers . I have 4k SPP and about 600 to 1k cartridges that use them loaded plus I think I have a few hundred cases primed and ready to load . Regardless I'm not shooting them right now , well not as much anyways . I would normally take at least one 9mm every time I went to the range and rarely take my 45acp . Well that has flipped and I'll be shooting more 45 now do to me having more LPP then I do SPP and rarely take my 9 with me . All this may be a blessing in disguise . I've let my rifle shooting REALLY get rusty and this may be the perfect reason to put up the pistols for a bit and start shooting more rifles . I mean I've not shot a rifle past 100yds in over 2 years :o

IMO It may be early 2022 before things start to return to normal primer and powder supply availability.

Assuming the zombie apocalypse crowd and the hickory nut militias have finally come to the realization that declaring war on the US and each other isn't the best idea after all--I anticipate the shortages should start easing up soon.

I don't see it happening until at least 2023, and then only if the opposing party wins big in the mid-term election. Hang onto your hat, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Don

I don't see it happening until at least 2023, and then only if the opposing party wins big in the mid-term election. Hang onto your hat, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.
Amen...USSR well said. Regards, Rod

Actually the worry will fade a lot going into the election cycle of 2022 I hope. I don’t think the more anti gun party will highlight gun control during election season. If the cycle we’ve seen the past 40 years continues, the more pro gun party will control at least one house in congress in 2023. When that happens things will ease up some as political fears will be subsided again for a while. Also, of note it appears that gun control does not appear to be a major priority right now. It’s not discussed much. Let’s hope it stays that way. Were at a point where literally one or two moderate democrat senators in swing districts hold all the power on gun control legislation that may be brought up. Like altering the course of history type of power...

As to components stash, I’m good for a while. I was deployed and bored in the spring and decided to stock up in case the election swung a certain way. Granted I don’t have an unlimited supply, but I’m rolling 2k deep on LRPs, 3k per on each of LPPs and SPPs, and 1K on SRP. Between that and black powder shooting I won’t have to start rationing for the most part for a year. Maybe some on 9mm pistol shooting to save primers for my new found hobby of collecting old .38 police revolvers, but that’s more of a focus shift than rationing. I’m stacked pretty deep on all types of powder except .223. I never shoot that anyway now that’s just to keep my young’ins happy.

Last edited:
Also, I’m with Metal God I would always hold back at least a few hundred in case you wanted to try a new caliber or load.

Metal God,

The professor says he is out of small rifle primers which means he loaded everything he has.

I load as I need to load.

A couple years ago, before this shortage, I posted a thread asking whether I should load everything I have or as needed.

Someone suggested that it would be easier to sell components than reloaded ammunition. That is my current philosophy.

Back