Out of box 1911 reliability?

Springfield!

My Springfield has never malfunctioned. Ever. 15,000 round estimated (I have two 5lb coffee cans full of primers from my reloading just to verify).

Everything from ultra-light 155 gr LSW to 200 gr JHP's plus all the 230 gr hardball for brass functioned perfectly.

I have seen many .45 fail but these wer imitations from the Chinese and other non-notables. My Para-Ord was bought used with considerable work done by a gunsmith. It failed shortly after I bought it because of a failed extractor. I have since replaced its firing pin (Series 80 #$%#$%!) but I do admire this safety factor.

Once all modifications were done, this new stalwort in my stable has proved utterly reliable. It functions with all ammo, be it 700 ft/sec target or 200 gr 1100 ft/sec hunting.

Not again .....

Snubnose,

If you like them, shoot them.

If you don't like them, don't.

Don't try to tell me what to buy/shoot. It won't work. I promise not to tell you what I think of snubnose revolvers if you won't tell me not to shoot a 1911.

I currently have three 1911's (Kimber, Colt and Les Baer) in three different calibers (45 ACP, 9X23 Win and 40 S&W). Other than the problems that I created myself with my reloads, I have had no problems. The Kimber has about 17,000 rounds already. I also have had no work done on them, other than having a 38 Special converted to shoot 9X23.

I have owned several "modern" pistols, from S&W and Sig. The "modern" pistols were much harder to shoot accurately, and the S&W 99 was impossible to reload after the chamber let the cases swell. The Sig wasn't bad....

The 1911 does have it's problems, and the design is quite old. How many of the current "modern" designs will still be around in 90 years, outselling the other models? I include revolvers along with auto pistols.

My opinion, for what it's worth. Probably not much.

Casey

"The 1911 does have it's problems, and the design is quite old. How many of the current "modern" designs will still be around in 90 years, outselling the other models? I include revolvers along with auto pistols."

Well the current S&W DA revolver dates back to 1896. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern" design on revolvers.

After shooting in the country today (on a private farm), I stacked my Glock 26 up against my friend's (gunsmithed) Colt 1911. I brought 150 rounds 9mm ammo, he brought 50 rounds .45 ACP ammo.

Results:

0 malfunctions in 150 shots in the Glock 26

5 malfunctions in 50 shots in the Colt (All stovepipes)

We looked the gun over and are guessing it is the extractor that is not working right.

This report is strictly to share what I did today and the results. I am not trying to sway opinions either way....as testing just two guns is not a big enough sample anyway.

Back