OR ready suggestions please

icenoir

Looking at a 9mm as a optic platform, looking at vp9, canik , pdp, 365xl, any others to consider in the relatively budget range?

Last edited:
VP9 OR is going to be the most expensive and the slowest reset of those. So...if your red dot is for speed, not that one. No remedy as the replacement hkpro part seems to cause light strikes.

Sorry. Mete.

Undercuts above and below the trigger guard, more aggressive grip texture, reduced grip near the beaver tail area, etc.

OR plate doesn't remove rear sight.

You’re not going to beat the prices of Canik.

My only complaint with the Mete series is they seem to only allow the use of the smaller optics like the Holosun 407k/507k or RMRcc. For a full size pistol at the range that’s a bit limiting, but also not show stopping. The PDP seems to readily available for $600 and even occasionally around $550 and lower. That’s pretty hard to beat for a mainline optic ready pistol.

As far as options overall, it’s practically unlimited these days. Glock, HK, FN, S&W, CZ, SIG, Springfield Armory, Walther, the list goes on. It would be worth going to a store and seeing which of those have ergonomics that appeal to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a Vortex Venom Red dot for my Canik TP9SFx. First let me say that in my opinion, the SFX is an impressive gun for the money. Entry level competition pistol. The reset is miniscule. I really like this gun, but wasn't shooting it as accurately as I wanted. But then I'm not as accurate as I want to be with any of my pistols.

So, enter the Red Dot. I mounted it and tried it out yesterday. It was incredible! I would say that my improvement was at least 100%. I was way more accurate and at about twice the distance that I normally shoot. I was having a ball. I can't wait to do it again.

I'm an older guy (70) and my LGS owner told me that 'old guys' love the red dots. Well, this old guy does. Someone had suggested on one of my gun forums that it might take a few months to get the hang of it and to give it a chance. Fortunately within about 40 rounds I had it dialed in and was adapting. I can't get over what an improvement that red dot has made for me.

BTW, my Canik TP9SFx came with four mounting plates one of which was the right one for the Vortex Venom.

I don't know if everyone experiences that dramatic of an improvement by adding a red dot. Maybe it had me concentrating on different things, or not as many things and that led to the improvement. I don't know. But it sure helped my accuracy.

Last edited:
You are welcome for the Mete idea, but I wouldn't recommend it over the new Walther PDP. I would recommend it for fun over the others, but not the PDP.

The Walther sear went out of copyright and that's when Canik and now Sar started using it in the TP9 series. The TP9 was a direct copy of the P99. I can dig up my photo of my TP9 next to my P99, it's exactly the same, just the Canik is unrefined.

The PDP comes OR, is only 75 dollars more, gives you a WAY better finish, smaller all around (ie, the Canik slide is HUGE), and I would say Walther quality is better. My Canik Elite suffered the light 115gr issue and I had a TP9SF suffer the trigger dingus lock issue. I have owned all the Canik TP9s excet the SC, Executive, and SFX--so a lot of them. They are good enough to keep buying them, but they are just big and refined compared to the Walther.

I am looking at the Mete SFX, but I keep going back to, why wouldn't I get the PDP in compact 5".

The PDP may be more refined than a Canik. I wouldn't know. I've never handled a Walther in person. But in my opinion, there is nothing unrefined about the SFX that I have. Maybe yours were. Then again, 'refined' is somewhat subjective.

I'm considering an Elite Combat with the Salient parts.

It's a copy of the Walther grip, but bigger for no reason and weights more. So when you pick up the Walther you will feel the difference. The polymer is harder on the Walther and makes it feel better.
The finish on the Walther is better. Ferritic nitrocarburizing finish on the internal parts vs just nickel coating too.

Walther PDP is 550 at Kygunco right now. I just purchased one now too.

So 25 dollars difference now vs the Canik Mete.

Turkey vs Germany. Importer Walther USA vs Century Arms....

The PDP compact had limited availability and the ten round versions are no where to be found...
I handled both the PDP and canik, but they only had the full size and no ten round versions of the PDP. I was more impressed with the canik. Price difference also seems closer to 170 from what I have seen.
Masada was decent but didn't stand out. A bit larger then I prefer.

In the future it’s worth mentioning if you’re restricted to 10 rd magazines, that way people better know what to recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back