Option for Future .300 Win Mag

Mine weighs under nine pounds naked--but once you bolt on a top-tier scope with base, rings, levels etc that weight goes up by a few pounds. 338 lap mag to me is "the poor man's cheytac.":D The ballistics performance is simply spectacular for a common factory cartridge--and that's why I recommended looking at it as an alternative to any thirty for long range (1000 and beyond)
I prefer it to they Cheytac.If I didn't, I would have a Cheytac.

If i had the cash to spend, it would be a 408 Cheytac all the way!

But since i don't, i shoot 7mm Rem Mag.
Better BC than 300/308 for same bullet weight.
Less recoil. Hence inherently more accurate.

I bought a Cooper Open Country in .300wm a month or so ago and threw my NXS on it to shoot it some while I search for the perfect hunting optic for it. That gun is a pussycat with the brake on it. About like shooting my son’s RAP in 6.5 and accuracy is superb. I look forward to getting good range time when it cools off some and the mosquitoes die off enough that you don’t risk malaria to do a little shooting.

(7mm has) Better BC than 300/308 for same bullet weight.
Less recoil. Hence inherently more accurate.
I disagree. Accuracy is based on bullet uniformity, not how well it bucks the wind. You can adjust sights to correct for wind.

Accuracy for 28 and 30 caliber bullets is best compared with bullets with the same ballistic coefficient. But very uniform medium-BC 30 caliber bullets be more accurate than less uniform 28 caliber hi-BC bullets of the same weight.

It's easier to make high BC bullets precisely (more accurate) in 30 caliber than 28 and 26 caliber. Took several years before 28 caliber heavy hi-BC match bullets were as accurate as the 30 caliber ones of equal weight. A few more before 26 caliber ones did.

That said, lighter weight hi-BC bullets are easier to shoot more accurate with shouldered rifles. They have less rifle recoil movement while bullets go through the barrel moving the line of fire before the bullet leaves.

Last edited:
I shoot 600 yds weekly, and have shot 1000 yds on 3 different occasions. I have a few 308's, 6.5CM, 300WM . I actually bought my 300WM when I first shot 1000 yds because my 308 was a R700 with a 12 twist barrel, and a 26" bbl. I was nervous about pushing a very hard load down the R700 in an attempt to reliably reach 1K. My 300WM is a R700 Sondero with a Bell and Carelson Tac5 stock. I handload and it took me some time to find a consistient , precise load to take out to 1K. I ended up shooting the 208 Amax bullet and about 75 gr of H1000 which was yielding about 2770 fps. The rifle shot outstanding at 1K, and I probably sent down about 150 rounds that day, and let me be clear my shoulder was beat to death ! I have a brake on my 300WM, and I was using a PAST recoil pad. If your thinking 300WM be prepared to feel the pain.... I've since built a 6.5CM , and that is by far the caliber of choice for 1K. Fast, Flat, and mild felt recoil. I still shoot my 300WM ocassionally at my clubs 600 yd range on very windy and cold days as that caliber really bucks the wind, and the colder temps help dissipate the high barrel temps.

Back