Option for Future .300 Win Mag

FloridaGuy

I am looking to add a .300 Win Mag long range rifle to my collection of long range guns. But I have looked at several shops and it seems they all recommend the RPR. I currently have a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just looking for other suggestion and maybe pro’s and con’s.

Define long range.
Would help to know intended uses.
Hunting?
Sniper wannabe on steel plates to 1,000 yards?
F-Class open?
Precision bench?

For the first option, hunting, then pretty much any major manufacturer.
Second, Savage 110 Stealth, Proof Research, Gunwerks.
But i've watched one person do sub MOA at 1,000 yards with a stock Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts shooting 75gr HP Varmint bullets.
For the other 2, well they are specialized rigs.

Of course, why limit yourself to 300 Win Mag? Step up to the Weatherby Mark V Tacmark in 30-378 Weatherby.

Me personally--if I'm looking for a "Maxed out thirty" the logic is obvious to step up to a 338 Lapua magnum. 300 win mag is relatively soft shooting compared to the other "mighty thirties" and the ammo is available everywhere.

I have the RPR in 300 WM It shoots great. No harsh recoil. The cons are: it is not light at all. near 22 pounds with optics and bipod. I would say it is not practical for hunting where one has to carry it very far.

If I had to choose something else I would go for a Browning Hell's Canyon with the McMillion stock. The brake can be changed to suit ones needs. It is lighter for being able to hunt with it as long as one is not trying to carry it for miles, and miles through the high country.

Both of those rifles are going to run in excess of $1500. The Browning will probably go for closer to the $2,000 mark.

Which ever you pick be ready to pay for ammo or reloading supplies. The price adds up fast when shooting one.

It is going to be used to shoot out to about 8 hundred yards. Weight an price are not a concern. It will only be carried from the car to the range and I am setting aside $3,000 for the rifle and optics.

I have a savage 111 hunter w 26" barrel in 300 win mag I bought for about $475--I've only had it out to around 400 yds--but it shot $19.00 American whitetail I got at Dick's under MOA at that distance. All up weight is under 10 lbs. making it a real hunting option.

The .338 Lapua isn't a .30 anything. Maxed or not.
"...Weight an price are not a concern..." Yes they are. More about the weight though since we're spending your money. Heavy helps absorb recoil.
You ever shoot a .300 Win Mag? Or any Mag? Fun, they ain't when shooting targets. You do not need a magnum of any kind for just 800 yards. 800 is medium range for NRA High Power. A heavy barreled .308 Win using 175 grain match ammo/bullets is ideal for that.
However, there is the "I want one." reason. Look at the Ruger Precision(you really do not want a hunting rifle.). 15.2 lbs, adjustable LOP, comes with a muzzle brake. $2099 MSRP.
The Savage 110 Stealth is the same price, comes with a 10 round mag, weighs about a pound less and comes with a muzzle brake.
"...under 10 lbs..." Would leave bruises after a day's shoot.

All of the 30 caliber magnum's days of being used by serious long range paper punchers are over. At ranges up to a mile it doesn't do anything you can't do with the rifle you have.

When you get to 2000+ yards the 30 and 33's have a small advantage. Or if you're trying to kill elk size game at extreme ranges.

At 800 yards the rifle you have is a BETTER option. A 308 would be a better option at that range, but around 800 is where the 308 starts to run out of gas.

A lot of nice rifles out there. My 300 win mag is a custom built on 110 Savage with McMillan stock. If I were going to buy another 300, it would be a 30 PRC.

The .338 Lapua isn't a .30 anything. Maxed or not.
"...Weight an price are not a concern..." Yes they are. More about the weight though since we're spending your money. Heavy helps absorb recoil.
You ever shoot a .300 Win Mag? Or any Mag? Fun, they ain't when shooting targets. You do not need a magnum of any kind for just 800 yards. 800 is medium range for NRA High Power. A heavy barreled .308 Win using 175 grain match ammo/bullets is ideal for that.
However, there is the "I want one." reason. Look at the Ruger Precision(you really do not want a hunting rifle.). 15.2 lbs, adjustable LOP, comes with a muzzle brake. $2099 MSRP.
The Savage 110 Stealth is the same price, comes with a 10 round mag, weighs about a pound less and comes with a muzzle brake.
"...under 10 lbs..." Would leave bruises after a day's shoot.
I have never shot anything larger than a .308 in a rifle unless you count my .50 beowulf AR. I have shot many Magnum rounds out of revolvers for example I shoot 500 S&W Magnum and 460 S&W Magnums. I also shoot 45-70 out of a revolver.

I currently have five rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and 2 chambered in .308’s. It’s basically time to find a new caliber above the .308.

The cons are: it is not light at all. near 22 pounds with optics and bipod.

Yikes!

I, of course, would have no problem at all with such a rifle setup. My trusty gun bearer on the other hand...

The average I am seeing for a RPR in .300 Win Mag is around $1,500. Probably will put a Genesis 6-24×50 FFP MOA optic on which ever rifle I end up with. Weight of the rifle is 15.2 lbs and about 2lbs for the scope.

My 338 Lapua weighs no where near 22 lbs.
Mine weighs under nine pounds naked--but once you bolt on a top-tier scope with base, rings, levels etc that weight goes up by a few pounds. 338 lap mag to me is "the poor man's cheytac.":D The ballistics performance is simply spectacular for a common factory cartridge--and that's why I recommended looking at it as an alternative to any thirty for long range (1000 and beyond)

Last edited:
The RPR in 300 Win Mag has a 26" 1:9 twist barrel. I predict best accuracy will be with the heaviest bullets, 240 grains minimum.

The NRA tests had it shooting a bit over MOA at 100 yards. It'll be twice that at 1000, moreso at 1500. Groups open up about 10% each 100 yards past the first one. Unless positive compensation for velocity spread from barrel vertical whip makes them smaller at one further range.

Last edited:
Back