Optics Buying Advice. . . .

I would like to ask what power scope you guys recommend for shooting from 50 to 300 yds at paper targets ?

2-8x, 3-9x or a 10x would be great for most setups where versatility is key.

If you literally mean the best scope for 50 - 100yd paper punching off a benchrest, I'm thinking a Weaver 24x.

A new thread will get you more answers and more opportunity for you to clarify your question. . .like what caliber, rifle, expected group, experience level, competition or not, rest type, secondary uses. . .

How much clarity do you need to see a deer at less than 200 yards?

Depends if you're shooting at twilight light levels or full daylight. At low light levels you notice the contrast, light transmission, and exit pupil differences between a really good scope and an inexpensive one.

In backlit conditions you notice the multi-coating and lack of flare in a scope with good glass that is multi-coated on all surfaces. There is a reason expensive scopes cost more - they generally perform better under adverse lighting conditions.

Always buy the best you can afford. There are some real bargains in the 3x-9x scopes. When you get into the higher magnification ranges you really see the differences in the more expensive scopes.

I still use a 6.5 - 18x Leupold Vari-X III that I bought in 1984 on a .30-.338. I like the scope because it's fairly small, rugged, and the magnification range will let me use the gun to 600+ yards. It was about $425 in 1984 ($960 today).

A quality scope is a good shooting investment and should last a lifetime if carefully chosen to match the rifle.

I would like to ask what power scope you guys recommend for shooting from 50 to 300 yds at paper targets ?

I would say, a 3-9; or 4-12. Low end of 3-4x will be a bit high, but usable at 50 yards- especially given that it's paper punching and you're not trying to quickly acquire game in the crosshairs.
These are both very common, produced in large numbers, and therefore decent quality is available at a low cost.

Back